LED Instrument Cluster Lights Audi V8

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 01:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Instrument Cluster Lights Audi V8

I am interested in figuring out how many and which type of bulbs are required for my 1993 Audi V8. I remember a friend doing this in a 1989 Audi 100 FWD wagon about 7 years ago and it looked great with very few hot spots or dim areas. The red LEDs were much easier on the eyes at night and made the Instrument Cluster gauges more crisp and legible. I've been looking for picture of the back of Audi V8 gauge clusters and more specifically the type and quantity for the Automatic Transmission gear indicator. I'd just take it apart but would prefer to have the parts on hand instead of taking the car out of service or doing the work twice. Cheers!
Old 12-28-2017, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Found these on EBAY. Looks like you could try them for a reasonable price. 2 things to watch for. The length, when you twist them in will they hit something and i've read that they have a certain polarity. So you can twist them in and they won't light up, you have to take it out rotate it 180 so the opposite contact seats.

https://tinyurl.com/y9xh7lb6

Bob
Old 12-28-2017, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by V8BOB
Found these on EBAY. Looks like you could try them for a reasonable price. 2 things to watch for. The length, when you twist them in will they hit something and i've read that they have a certain polarity. So you can twist them in and they won't light up, you have to take it out rotate it 180 so the opposite contact seats.

https://tinyurl.com/y9xh7lb6

Bob
Hi Bob

Thank you! I had figured the T5 or 8.4d socket was appropriate but you just made my day I'm going to get those, unfortunately i ordered about a 100 different LED's from a couple of suppliers not having that kit show up on my variety of searches. The polarity thing I figured as well as depth etc. I will post pictures of the results

Cheers
Nigel
Old 01-10-2018, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rollercam
Hi Bob

Thank you! I had figured the T5 or 8.4d socket was appropriate but you just made my day I'm going to get those, unfortunately i ordered about a 100 different LED's from a couple of suppliers not having that kit show up on my variety of searches. The polarity thing I figured as well as depth etc. I will post pictures of the results

Cheers
Nigel
Hey Nigel, theres15 Orange mount/9 black and 1 green. All the bulbs are same size but guessing the colors denote wattage. Not sure how but there appears to only be 1 bulb on this cluster for gear selector light. BTW, I'm just across the border in Bellingham if you need small parts. I never parted a '93 so have no axles/climate control/engine stuff, but do have lots of the rest. Good luck, Tom
Attached Images   
Old 01-10-2018, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by toml99
Hey Nigel, theres15 Orange mount/9 black and 1 green. All the bulbs are same size but guessing the colors denote wattage. Not sure how but there appears to only be 1 bulb on this cluster for gear selector light. BTW, I'm just across the border in Bellingham if you need small parts. I never parted a '93 so have no axles/climate control/engine stuff, but do have lots of the rest. Good luck, Tom
That's Brilliant Tom Thank You, I sent you a PM and I am looking for parts for sure, Beige glove box especially as this car had been broken into and the latch has been destroyed. The bulbs seem to conform to the 8.3d, 8.4d standard if you search on ebay or Super Bright LED's. These bulbs do not appear to be seperate and they do appear to be the same across VWAG platforms, my previous Audi 90Q and various MK3 Golf/Jetta's plus an Audi 100 that I didn't own but did work on all seem to share the same bases. The black I believe have replaceable bulbs and the Orange, Green and Black indicate different bulb wattage and consequently light output. Just to clarify there is only 1 bulb for the entire indicator gear selector PRND321 is all illuminated by 1 bulb?

If you have a spare sunroof mechanism I might be interested in that

Cheers
Nigel
Old 01-11-2018, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rollercam
That's Brilliant Tom Thank You, I sent you a PM and I am looking for parts for sure, Beige glove box especially as this car had been broken into and the latch has been destroyed. The bulbs seem to conform to the 8.3d, 8.4d standard if you search on ebay or Super Bright LED's. These bulbs do not appear to be seperate and they do appear to be the same across VWAG platforms, my previous Audi 90Q and various MK3 Golf/Jetta's plus an Audi 100 that I didn't own but did work on all seem to share the same bases. The black I believe have replaceable bulbs and the Orange, Green and Black indicate different bulb wattage and consequently light output. Just to clarify there is only 1 bulb for the entire indicator gear selector PRND321 is all illuminated by 1 bulb?

If you have a spare sunroof mechanism I might be interested in that

Cheers
Nigel
In the pic on the left side where its white, there are 4 holes at top and only one bulb. This is my low mileage cluster and first time I've opened it. I wrote good on back so assumed it worked when I pulled it. Think there was a few other empty holes.
In 16yrs of being a V8 owner, I've never even seen a beige interior. If you mean the sunroof motor assembly, also no. Pretty sure it's same as the others from this era. Good luck on the bulb project, Tom
Old 09-08-2019, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I shot a video of the LED instrument cluster bulbs if any one is curious to check it out

as well as another video on the some of the other bulbs around the interior

Last edited by rollercam; 09-08-2019 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Instrument cluster lights look great. Thats a lot of trial and error to get the desired result. I ordered some LEDs for the fog lamps after seeing your housings. Is there anything out there for the front and rear signals or the brake lights that won't throw an error on the auto check? I bought a setup that had an inline resistor but it got so hot I was afraid of melting plastic or burning paint.