Need front axle shafts, what do I get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need front axle shafts, what do I get?

Well i'm getting a nasty growling and clicking noise when I turn. Put the car on the lift, wheel bearings look good, the only thing I can find is both boots on both of the outer cv joints are ripped completly off, so im going to fix whats broke.. So here is the deal I have a 88 5kcst. It has abs but the abs has been bypased, what axle should I get? On the napa site there are two choices for a manual tranny, one with abs and one without abs, which one should I get?? If anyone here has the correct napa p/n I would be very greatfull...

Thanks!
Jason
Grand Rapids, MI
Old 10-08-2002, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Two possible solutions: FLAPS rebuild or go with a factory OE joint.

FLAPS is your Friendly Local Auto Parts store. Bear in mind that although they may be cheaper and offer a full lifetime warranty, the bearings may be oversized and the races reground to fit the oversize bearings. If they regrind it, they usually have to cut into the hardening and that reduces the life of the joint. So your lifetime joint needs to be replaced a lot more often than a factory OE original joint with an intact boot.

On the other hand, what I would do if I were you is to call Rod at thepartsconnection.com and ask how much for an OE quality outer CV (like a Lobro). Rod knows his stuff on the Audis, and if you tell him the ABS is not working, he will probably quote you the price for both the non-ABS and ABS variety joint. Note: the only difference between the ABS and non-ABS CV joint is that the ABS joint has a pressed on toothed ring on the outer portion of the joint.

When you receive the joint, it's pretty straightforward to remove the axle, be sure to use the correct triple square bit on the inner CV. I'm lazy, so I take mine to a local axle shop that can press on a new joint in like 10 - 15 minutes for about $10 bucks, then I take it home and pop it back in.

The 5000 Quattro front axles are the same length so you can actually swap them from side to side.

If the CV's have not started to click going around corners, you may be able to save the joint by rebooting it with a factory quality boot. Stay away from that one size fits none stuff at the FLAPS.

Good luck, and I'll shut up now.
Old 10-09-2002, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Two possible solutions: FLAPS rebuild or go with a factory OE joint.

So do you think that I could use a non ABS shaft on my car with out much problem?
Thanks for all the great info!!!

Jason
Old 10-09-2002, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Well, if you aren't going to try to fix the ABS system...

I would check with Rod and see what the price difference is, if it is minimal you may want to get the ABS joint in case you decide to try and fix it.

By the way, I have three CV axles for the front of my car, two on the car and a spare in the basement. The one in the basement has a torn outer boot but a good outer joint, if one of the boots tears on the car I just reboot the one in the basement and on it goes. Yes, I am cheap, but if you keep the factory joints lubed they stay happy for a _long_ time.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.