Oil pressure sensor acting up... where is the little bastard located? Is this my problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure sensor acting up... where is the little bastard located? Is this my problem?

My oil pressure sensor is going crazy - it'll go to 5 bar without anything... just a little acceleration... after acceleration it jumps around between 2 and 3 and generally sits and bobs about .5 (in the scale of the meter) back and forth. The car has the right amount of oil in it, a very minor oil leak from the turbo hose (a few drips a day) and seems to be driving fine.

Yet, the red oil can is going off like it is its job to do so... pretty much anytime I accelerate more than the least possible amount.

I assume its a faulty sensor as I don't know what the hell else could be causing this problem - any ideas here are welcome...

Anyone had this part crap out on you? Symptoms?

I want knowledge! Feed me!
Old 03-21-2006, 10:04 PM

Re: start with changing oil filter and oil
Old 03-22-2006, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yes... mine has crapped out and is leaking....

The oil pressure sensor is at the front of the motor near the alternator. A little nub with a cap on it. Sometimes the needle on the gauge flicks from full scale to dead. Recent oil change and filter as well.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Its unbeleivably irritating... I assume unplugging it should solve my beeping issue for the time

being, and eventually I should replace it...

Damn, if its not one thing its another with this car... it just doesn't want me to get it up and driving apparently.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:41 AM

i was wondering what that thing was, thanks
Old 03-22-2006, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: yes... mine has crapped out and is leaking....

Are you sure you're not mixing the oil temp sender with oil pressure sender? The temp sender is in the front bottom corner of the block near the alt. It has a small booty with a one wire connected by a phillips screw and is very prone to leaking.
The pressure sender is usually higher on the block on the opposite side of the engine from the alt and rarely leaks and will have 2 wires coming from it.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right you are... my mistake.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I just did... how would that have anything to do with my oil pressure warning light if I had the

appropriate amount in there to begin with? Seems like I would be wasting $21.00 of synthetic oil and $4.80 for a Mann filter.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My temp seems fine, and thats the little thermometer light thing, right? The oil can = pressure?

It would make sense considering that is the gauge that is going bonkers...
Old 03-22-2006, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default According to Bentley: "if wires to pressure sender are incorrectly installed

the autocheck oil pressure warning light will come on.

I wonder if, when I hastily put my dashboard back together I screwed something up?

I have only recently developed a slight leak under the car which seems to come from the turbo line - though it easily could come from this sender... Hmm... I hate coincidences.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure sensor acting up... where is the little bastard located? Is this my problem?