Replaced J-hose, did I kill my brake accumulator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced J-hose, did I kill my brake accumulator?

Hey folks, I have a quick question that one of you may be able to answer. I recently became the proud new owner of a 200 20v Avant. Pearl white, 120k on the clock, great overall condition with one minor exception: when I got the car, the pressure hose (aka the J-hose) to the brake accumulator had a nasty gash in it and leaked like a sieve. Rather than spending $250+ for a replacement, I had it rebuilt. The bomb-end banjo fitting was re-used but the threaded fitting that connects to the damper pipe was replaced. The problem I’m now having is this: since I installed the new hose, the brake bomb will not re-pressurize. Here are the symptoms:

-The brake warning light is on constantly
-When the car is running and you firmly apply the brakes, there is a pulsing vibration in the pedal. It feels similar to ABS.
-Now the kicker: when you shut the car off and apply the brakes, the pedal is IMMEDIATELY stiff. I understand a working brake bomb is supposed to give you 20-30+ applications of the pedal before the system loses pressure.

Another thing to note: before I replaced the hose, during normal driving, the brake warning light would sometimes flash when I first applied the brakes. I read on SJM that this could mean your accumulator is on its way out. Is it safe then to assume my brake accumulator is dead, or is my rebuilt hose somehow functioning improperly? I bled all the air out and it certainly moves fluid, but it occurred to me that the original hose might have been fitted with a check valve on the threaded end. Thanks for your input.