Spark from coil wire, car not starting ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spark from coil wire, car not starting ??

I have several issues with my 87'CSTurbo (Non-Quattro).

1) I'm getting spark at coil wire, no start. I have Autolite spark plugs and they are carbon fouled, I pulled number one, grounded it and the damn thing is sparking at the base of the plug, (where the center electrode first extends from). No spark at the tip, what is up with that?

2) My injectors are leaking bad, they will not hold pressure, I have to prime the system by using a fuse in the fuel pump relay.

3) My attempt to rebuild my fuel distributor, was somewhat sucessfull, one it works, but is sticking in the "open" position, this is flooding my cylinders. and now I have a large fuel leak where the fuel distributor joins, I'll attempt to re-tighten. I think that the leaking injectors doesn't allow the distributor to hold pressure, and I think that the pressure is what makes the fuel distributor plunger to stay in the closed position, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Any suggestions ?? Can plain old spark plugs cause a no-start condition?

Let me Know,

Larry_F_in_Ca
Old 02-27-2005, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Spark from coil wire, car not starting ??

1) I'm getting spark at coil wire, no start. I have Autolite spark plugs and they are carbon fouled, I pulled number one, grounded it and the damn thing is sparking at the base of the plug, (where the center electrode first extends from). No spark at the tip, what is up with that?

Replace the plugs they are carbon foul and soak with gasoline. BTW get the right plugs.

2) My injectors are leaking bad, they will not hold pressure, I have to prime the system by using a fuse in the fuel pump relay.

You are flooding the cyclinders with gasoline, the gas must be in a mist state and not dripping into the cylinder. Remove the plugs and use air to help dry out the cylinders. The engine will not start if it is flooded. BTW You don't want to continue with this condition, which could lead to hydro-lock and cause a bent rod if you're not careful.

3) My attempt to rebuild my fuel distributor, was somewhat sucessfull, one it works, but is sticking in the "open" position, this is flooding my cylinders. and now I have a large fuel leak where the fuel distributor joins, I'll attempt to re-tighten. I think that the leaking injectors doesn't allow the distributor to hold pressure, and I think that the pressure is what makes the fuel distributor plunger to stay in the closed position, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Since you know that the engine does run, then try to find a used/rebuilt fuel distributor. The plunger as you observered is not closing.
Ebay currently have one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=795646245 1&category=33553&sspagename=WDVW

Any suggestions ?? Can plain old spark plugs cause a no-start condition?

Yes especially if they are wet. Replace your plugs or clean and dry up the old one.<ul><li><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;rd=1&amp;item=795646245 1&amp;category=33553&amp;sspagename=WDVW">Fuel distributor on ebay</a></li></ul>