V8 Quattro EVO build

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 03:35 PM
SRX
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V8 Quattro EVO build

My " new "91 V8 Q 5-Speed

Last few months I've been hunting down donor cars for my longer term Tube Frame S1 Quattro Sport build, and I came across this 1 reg' owner Silicone Valley Ca car. I was surprised that it was still around however i learnt that the current un registered owner gave up trying to smog the car even though it was only 15 units above its Ca maximum allowed as he had purchased another car for college and was on a 1 month European vacation, returning last Wednesday
I drove to the Bay Area Friday eve' arrived to view the car on Saturday.
apart from the sun damage on pass' side, a tiny nickel dent on outer lip of Dr rear wheel arch, couple interior under dash steering column trim pieces removed but in the trunk body wise has to be considered very good, interior is excellent
Owner had driven the car until 05 then it sat stored half under cover or half shaded to explain clear coat damaged for 10 years. New timing belts, hoses filters replaced & new tires mounted along with custom cat back Magnaflow muffler.
At some point the original owner had Porsche 4 piston calipers installed and Borbet alloys, as of now thats all I know.
Went out for a 30 min drive, couple of squeaks from rear suspension bushes, tiny front end shimmy most likely out of balance wheels. Totally solid drive can't believe how firm & planted the ride felt considering the size of the car.
Flying out on 8/21 to drive the 1150miles back to MT, fingers crossed i do not have any issues, planning on having the wheels re balanced asap before hitting the freeway.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Welcome to the V8q world, you have a very rare vehicle there. It looks to be black on black, everyone will want to see picks of the interior. Do you have sport seats?

Bob
Old 08-16-2016, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Found Some EVO Pics

I'll try and attach them.
Attached Thumbnails V8 Quattro EVO build-v8evo1.jpg  
Attached Images      
Old 08-16-2016, 04:38 AM
SRX
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Bob,
Yes it is Black / Black, unsure on sports seats, very similar to my 96 A4 except the head rests. Interior is almost immaculate except the couple of the mentioned panels removed
Sun / Mon' I will post the photos, Just thought I could screen shot the Craigslist ad pics but the posting is removed.
I know of someone I came across on this V8 quest has parted 4 V8's in WA I know 1 is Sportline interior & 1 set is black.
I found approx 5 V8's currently for sale while researching cross reference on the BLK Ca car, none were good colors, no Black interiors, but 1 was a 5 speed though.

This car was not on my radar when looking but when I came across it I thought I should buy it, Ca Black 5 speed, really only 1 real registered owner.

That in its self will create a couple of issues as i only have a bills of sales, file of Ca smog papers + old registration. Will need a local VIN check to obtain a MT Bonded Title.
After test driving a local sheriff came by enquired to the owner why he's driving around without plates, officer said he had previously ran the VIN having seen it outside the owners house and it came back clean. Thats a relief.

Thanks for your interest

Sean
Old 08-16-2016, 04:43 AM
SRX
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, that is where I'm going but lowered with either 2B or KW coil over kit etc etc
Just been in communication with Paul in Portugal he has the front spoiler available now but the rear not until Dec' really need to ship both together.

Sean
Old 08-16-2016, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey Sean, welcome to the tribe. I must have chatted with you at some point as I'm the WA guy that parted 3(my own), and helped part another, so guessin I said 4. Pretty sure I know the car(or should say, know a friend of the original owner). My Indigo Pearl 5-speed used to live in Los Gatos. Hope that shimmy goes away with the balancing. My 5-speed has a bad center driveshaft support bearing(168K), and I've got a vibration not shimmy, but might describe it as such. I do still have the complete black interior if you need(or anyone reading this...Ha), It's got the Connoly seat package, which aside from the fact that they felt different(all mine are sport), were comfortable the brief time I spent trying to get it back on the road before parting it. My guess is that you just want to get it home and check it out. Good for you....you're gonna love it. If it doesn't have the ABT chip, it's still available and pretty sure still $100.....You're gonna want it. Post back with roadtrip....Tom
Old 08-17-2016, 02:47 AM
SRX
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Tom,
You may have spoken to / know the original owner, the story I'm told on this car, purchased new from owner who lives in Cupertino area drove it until around 05 then stored or parked it, for 10 years, sold or given ? to a mechanic ( probably known to the owner ) who never registered it but got it back running + timing belt, crank sensor, Cat back custom exhaust, tires etc. ran it around maybe on dealer plates ? sold to the young guy Kipp I purchased it from in Sarasota Ca, only 3 miles from Los Gatos, Kipp had it smogged a couple times, 1st time failed badly car didn't run that smoothly so he ran fuel system cleaner did a run went back 400 miles later, failed again this time only 12 points away from passing. However as he was about to go college in CO this week didn't want to play around with it anymore so he bought a BMW put this up for sale.
Let me know if this helps identify the car.
Doing some free VIN research it has a couple records of dealer recalls / work done in south bay area, and a breakdown recorded in Prescott AZ, as I remember all were electrical systems. I will have to pay for a Carfax or whatever is the best car record service, anybody ?

Think the person I spoke with in WA re V8 parts is Josh from Lynwood, but probably going to call you soon Tom

I hope it does have the Chip 1 less item to purchase.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:01 PM
SRX
Audiworld Junior Member

Default bootlegging the Blk 91 V8 Q 5 speed home

Flew out on Sunday to Los Gatos, picked up my "new" car & made a 1150 mile run for home

It has a bad vibe from rear, a little from front wheels, almost feels like they are missing centering ring's, front just out of balance, rear I need to really investigate Its not the main driveshaft as i coasted down a hill i put it in neutral still remained. I knew before buying it it had a damaged ignition switch, tried to re install and noticed that the drive Tang is broken off so needs a whole mech ignition assembly.

Here is the interior is it a Sportline ?

Old 08-22-2016, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Those are the Sport Seats and they look to be in good shape with expected wear on the driver side. Borbet wheels are good but the set I had seemed prone to getting bent from pot holes. They could look OK from the outside but when I took it off the bend was in the inside.

Safe Journey to you,
Bob
Old 08-23-2016, 04:27 PM
SRX
Audiworld Junior Member

Today I went through and replaced all the burnt out light bulbs
Removed 1 rear wheel and sure enough NO Centering Ring, 73mm bore wheel on Audi 57.1mm hub pilot, no wonder it vibrates. Ordered those, next will be ECS long stud conversion with billet 20mm spacers.
All bushings etc front sway bar are in very good condition, CV's good except pass' front is missing a band clamp also on that side broken ABS harness.

Had the local Sheriff Deputy come by today and complete the VIN inspection, all good
went through all the paperwork that came with the car, the original owner did gift the car
to a mechanic due to the estimated bill to get it road worthy and have the bill of sale paper trail, in the couple of days should have registered.

Quick Reply: V8 Quattro EVO build