V8 timing belts normally 4 pieces? I used the Search..

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V8 timing belts normally 4 pieces? I used the Search..

I took the risk and bought a 1993 Audi V8 4.2L Quattro that had stalled while idling then was restarted twice with no results. Any thoughts of how many valves are bent? Or... are early Audi V8 timing belts normally 4 pieces? Did they switch to a one piece T-belt for the D2's on up?

Last edited by rollercam; 12-18-2017 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Looks more like a snake that shed its skin. Oh My
Old 12-18-2017, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

How many miles on the car?
Body Straight and solid?
Interior Clean and intact?
You will have to pull the heads to evaluate the damage. I see you have euro headlamps. Looks like the UFOs have been replaced, maybe not, hard to see.
We need more pictures.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by V8BOB
Body Straight and solid?
You will have to pull the heads to evaluate the damage. I see you have euro headlamps. Looks like the UFOs have been replaced, maybe not, hard to see.
We need more pictures.
How about these?

one dry and 2 wet compression tests...
Old 12-19-2017, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

My 1st impression is to do a full timing belt job, those numbers look pretty good. Change oil and filter. Run it, drive it with care, listen and get a feel for it. Recheck the compression after a 100 miles.
Bob
Old 12-23-2017, 12:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by V8BOB
Body Straight and solid?
We need more pictures.
It has 209,000 Km or 130,000 miles
The interior is in decent shape its beige, I am the third owner
Thankfully the timing belt broke while idling in the previous owners driveway, he then restarted it twice with no results.
It then sat for 2 years.

I have a new Continental Timing and serpentine belt on with a Genuine Audi water pump. The rest of the parts are aftermarket German suppliers, thermostat, all the rollers and the timing belt tensioner.
I bought the Victor Reinz complete head gasket kit plus head bolts and have replaced all the seals including the Green Dizzy O-rings. I replaced the crank and Oil pump seals and spent $50 on a new Genuine Audi Crank Pulley bolt.
I am not going to take any chances on this and will obey a short T-belt change interval. I figure even the "new" ones have sitting on a shelf for awhile before they are sold.
At the moment I am just baselining all the maintenance and fluids.
The Central door locks haven't worked in a decade so I upgraded the lock cylinder and cast arm with the new stamped steel plus checked the function of the micro switch.
Repaired the door wring, plus located an Audi 100 regulator tore it apart, cleaned it then lubricated and installed that in the drivers door.
With any vehicles or engines that are new to me I pulled the oil pan and replaced the gasket. I found one of the upper aluminum oil pan allen bolts at the bottom of the lower steel pan along with far to much silicone sealant.
I ordered new Distributor caps(Airtex wells, never used these before, Opinions?) Distributor Rotors, Plugs and O2 sensor (Bosch), E-brake cables, Genuine Audi Transmission filter and gasket, fuel filter, steering rack boot ( previous owner changed the fluid semi regularly so its weeping but not much else) Radiator and heater core were changed and are in good shape, purged the blue G-11 with G-13 after 3 thorough flushes with water.
The blower motor was DOA so I replaced that as well.

Downloaded the Bentley and tracked down a transmission dip stick. The Bose system is pretty haggard and not working so I will replace the head unit and speakers but leave the wiring and not butcher it so it can be returned to stock

Picked up a Right Click kit keyless entry kit and had the keys cut but am having trouble with the wiring, its really not a priority at the moment if anyone wants to point me in the right direction for advice it would be appreciated!

I could use advice and parts for
-Sunroof
-Electric Radiator Fan (Viscous Clutch has been replaced and I have the receipt from the previous owner)
-Drivers side Front and Rear heated seats
-ABS (fuse pops immediately on the relay)
-Airbag
-Central Display shows low coolant (shorting the plug at the expansion tank has no effect)
-Oil Pressure Gauge is pegged at 5 BAR
-Power Antenna, the large diameter mast is bent and the smaller parts of the mast will not retract all of the way plus the white Plastic cable has snapped, but the motor works, so if anyone has parts....
-Suggestions on LED upgrades for the Instrument cluster

I don't think I have pulled an Oil pan yet and not found a reason to continue the practice
I found these on Redbubble, its the Audi branded item I have that doesn't cause me Headaches

Old 12-23-2017, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

WOW, You have accomplished so much already I should just say, Carry On! Get a bowl of popcorn and sit back and watch. Here is just a small contribution, a web site with good exploded parts views and numbers. A half started V8 Knowledge Base with some information regarding the seat heaters, The oil pressure sending unit is near the filter, obvious by the 2 wires going to it. If that connection is bad I think the gauge will peg out high. Maybe on the antenna you should go non-electric just short flexible. Not sure about LEDs But I saw somewhere Higher wattage cluster bulbs. I'll look around.

https://audi.7zap.com/en/usa/

Category:V8 - Knowledgebase

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/att...724%5B1%5D.jpg

Bob
Old 02-07-2018, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey, if those compression numbers are from the thrown belt heads,looks good. Better than my 115K Lago car(mine are and have always been 130/125 on all since 52K/'02. These cars were made loose and consumed a qt/3000 when new on purpose, so you look good to go. Pm'ing the rest...Tom