1993 90 Exhaust Manifold Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 90 Exhaust Manifold Removal?

Hello all,

I've got a 1993 Audi 90 FWD that needs new exhaust manifolds. The 3 studs on the manifold flange have rusted and there is now a leak. What is the easiest way to remove the manifolds from the head? Does anybody have any experience with this?
Any advice would be great!

Thanks
Old 07-05-2017, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

proper way to fix it is to remove the exhaust manifold and drill the old studs out. the problem with that is that most likely your studs on the head will brake off and youll have to remove the motor to get them out. Alternatively so you can try drilling the old exhaust studs out with the motor in place, and just run a bolt through the holes and a nut on another side, it's a ghetto fix, but it should work.
p.s. I'm not responsible for any permanent damage you do to your vehicle or yourself. You might be better off taking it to an exhaust shop.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I registered to respond to this.I am fixing the same issue atm. I just got back from the yard an hour ago : ).I couldn't fix mine the way the above poster mentioned because the metal were the studs went were rusted off.So I had nowhere to drill new bolt holes.Mine was leaking on the driver side.If yours is on the passenger side than you got lucky.There is plenty of room on that side.As well as not having the egr valve to deal with.The heatsheild comes off with 2 10mm and one 8mm.All the manifold bolts come off easy.Just use an extension and attack the first 4 from underneath.The last port up top from the top.Now the exception is the one closest to the firewall underneath the last port.At first I thought it was impossible lol. But it isnt I had to feed an extension up underneath hold it there while I connected it to my socket wrench from above. Theres some space in the wheel well to move your wrench while holding it in place from below.As far as getting the downpipe off two bolts come of easy.If memory serves me they were 13mm. The third one comes off easiest once you have the exhaust manifold bolts off.As it gives you a little room to wiggle.Also a good size extension and cheater bar is handy to have.It is going to be tight in there.Make sure to remove the wire harness bracket for a bit of extra room.I also jacked my engine up gently from the pan for added clearance.As far as the egr is concerned I would attempt to take it off before you get the manifold loose.Its hard to grip once its free.I ended up sawzawing both ends free.Because the metal line snakes through the cooling passage.There is a 22mm nut holding it on.In what seemed like a not very tool friendly space.Big wrench plus no space equals no Bueno. Even after the manifold was off it took fire to persuade it.As I was in there I was doing an egr delete so it was all well and good. Im not sure about your car but the previous ower of mine had repaired some exhaust pipe.When they repaired it they didnt bother to use the hangar on the bad side.I imagine that it swayed.Causing added stress.Thus leading to the failure.I wish you luck.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for your write up! Unfortunately for me the driver and passenger side is leaking, so both will have to come off. Hopefully with this info I can get them off successfully. I ordered new manifold gaskets and will try to reuse the manifolds since they are not bad (just the down pipe studs rusted off).