1994 Audi 80 electrical problems (Dashboard and indicators)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 02:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Audi 80 electrical problems (Dashboard and indicators)

Hey!
Just bought an Audi 80 for a first car project. Going well so far other than the dashboard and indicators.

Let's start with the dashboard.
The backlights don't light up at all suddenly. They were working, but then I dissassembled the indicator stock and when I put it all together again the lights didn't work. These lights seem to be connected to the temperature/cooling **** lights since they don't work either. I assume it's just something I've overlooked but if someone has ideas, please do share 8). All 12V are running through the dashboard itself though, so I don't think the problem is there. Maybe some ground is bad?

I have checked the fuses, bulbs and all connectors seem to be attached.

Now the indicators just don't work. Hazard lights are fine and work like they're supposed to. Like I said earlier I pulled the stock apart and cleaned all the connectors there, any ides where to look?

I'm not that familiar with car electronics but if you know what wires I should check for connectivity I can do that.

If any additional information is needed, I'm happy to tell more.

Thanks for any answers .
Old 01-16-2019, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Ignition switches were notorious for the housing cracking then causing all sorts of weird problems. If there is no record of a new ignition switch in recent times..get one. The switches were updated several times with the last batch being the best. Part number 4A0905849B (double check the part number for your car) Be careful as there are some junk parts out there. Get an OEM from the VW. about $35..Audi..NLA (Audi corporate sucks supporting older cars) There are some DIY instructions online ..the switch is not too tough a job.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Rusty Spokes
Ignition switches were notorious for the housing cracking then causing all sorts of weird problems. If there is no record of a new ignition switch in recent times..get one. The switches were updated several times with the last batch being the best. Part number 4A0905849B (double check the part number for your car) Be careful as there are some junk parts out there. Get an OEM from the VW. about $35..Audi..NLA (Audi corporate sucks supporting older cars) There are some DIY instructions online ..the switch is not too tough a job.
Thank you!

Though, I managed to fix these problems just yesterday. It appeared that there was some problem in the circuit of the dashboard, so it didn't get power to the backlight bulbs. Loaned the power from somewhere else.

Indicators didn't work because of the hazard light switch...

I'll check that anyway, just in case!😁
Old 01-17-2019, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FCP Euro has OEM for 37 bucks, toss a few oil filter on to get free shipping.
I have pictures somewhere of the switch housing and how they liked to crack in the same spot.
They did improve the switch, old one is white, new one is black and appears more robust
Old 01-19-2019, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by egp320i
FCP Euro has OEM for 37 bucks, toss a few oil filter on to get free shipping.
I have pictures somewhere of the switch housing and how they liked to crack in the same spot.
They did improve the switch, old one is white, new one is black and appears more robust
Alright, thank you!