1994 audi cabriolet convertible (top won't let down)

Old 04-12-2011, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some reading

http://www.audiforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9449

http://audi20v.net/problems-a-soluti...-wiring-repair

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2120198

http://www.audi-forums.com/audi-80-9...cabriolet.html
Old 04-12-2011, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Trunk wiring in my book, and specifically the wiring associated with the trunk lock. The convertible top control module must sense that the trunk is locked for the top cover to fully open. This prevents the top storage compartment cover and the trunk from hitting each other. Look at my earlier PDF's I posted for the sequence. Here's a quick test. Key lock the trunk and then try to operate the top. Sometimes that will work and show you that the problem is clearly the trunk lock. Next, try using the key to lock the doors and open them and try the top again. I'm not sure what sensors Loud is referring to, unless he means the three latch sensors on each side in the top storage compartment that are microswitches. I don't think he is implying that they are optical.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Actually Hub, I was implying they're optical.

They're also mounted as a safety feature on a completely different car...

Have Iever told you about the '95 Saab 900S convertible I used to own? Nice little car. Had these cool little optical sensors for a safety feature. Kept you from losing a finger if your hand was resting in the wrong place.

Sorry, Grease.

I'll fire up the ElsaWin, though. Lets see what we can find... I'll be back in a few.

Nothing. There are no wiring diagrams for the hydraulic top system in this program.

Last edited by Loudgoldwing; 04-12-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's working again, thanks to evryone. after reading LG's reply I went to my car and unlock it in the trunk. I opened my trunk and tried to bang the back of the boot cover. Closed the trunk and went to start it and unlatch the top and lo and behold it's working again. put it up and down for four times and no problem. Now it's time to enjoy the weather. Thank you to all.

cheers
greasegun
Old 04-13-2011, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

"opened my trunk and tried to bang the back of the boot cover"

How many drinks do you need to have before you try that?
Just wondering ;>)
Old 07-26-2011, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Im having that problem with my top opening slow and or stoping durning the opening or closing process my # 313-399-3755 thank you
Old 07-26-2011, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default How to answer this one?

Tedero,
If I was 25 and you were a great looking babe, I'd call you. Since that is not going to happen, search the forum and read everything you can on the convertible top. You need to learn a few things so that you can aptly describe what is happening, such as if the light is blinking, where in the sequence you get the failure, etc. We will all tell you the same thing. It is most likely the trunk lock or the trunk lock wiring.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is a hydraulic system. Slow running in a hydraulic system can usually be attributed to one of two things:

1) Low fluid, allowing air bubbles to get in to the hydraulic lines. Fluid cannot compress under pressure. Air can.

2) The motor used to pressurize the system is failing. Much less likely.

The tank holding the hydraulic fluid is in the trunk near the passenger side rear corner, under the black carpet floor. The fluid used to top it off is the same fluid used as power steering fluid in our cars. It is sold at Audi dealerships.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Pump motor

Since Loud brought it up, I did have a problem in my pump motor. When you check your fluid level, which really should be your first step in the elimination process, do it after you have operated the top. You'll need a flashlight and mirror. This way you will be able to smell if the motor brushes or motor are shorting out. In my case, the brush material (a carbon graphite like material) was imbedded in the armature comutator gaps. This caused the motor to intermittantly short out and stop in mid opening. I removed the hydraulic assembly, separated the motor from the pump, opened up the electric pump motor and cleaned out the material from the grooves in the comutator and reassembled. The brushes are not easily replaceable, unfortunately, and the motor itself is not stocked as a separate part. Audi sells the whole hydraulic assembly for $2400. Total Rip-off.
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2011, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Iam having a similar problem but I cannot get mine to unlock from the the winshield. It will only turn about 1/4 to 1.2 turn. Any help with this would be great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1994 audi cabriolet convertible (top won't let down)