94 Cabriolet fans stay on!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Cabriolet fans stay on!

Hello putting this here as a informative post to hopefully help others.
Firstly I'd like to thank this site's own Rusty Spokes for teaching me.

Car: 1994 Audi Cabriolet

Symptoms: Both cooling fans were staying on full blast, even with the key out.

My first thought was to check the fuses/relays in the underhood box. All was well here.
Next was to check the fan temp switch on the rad. Unplugged the sensor and the fans were still ripping.
Here is where I was lost, and Rusty saved me, the owner's manual only refers to the MAIN fuse box under the hood.
There's no diagram or location for the Auxillary relay block under the driver's side dash under a kick panel.
To remove the panel there are 4 Phillips/hex head bolts, 2 are hidden behind black plastic circles that recess into the panel.
Then gently pull the panel toward the rear of the car to slide it out of the two plastic clips located close to the firewall.
If you're lucky there will still be the sticker on the backside of the panel that details the relays and locations in the Auxillary block.
My cabriolet had a Clifford alarm which made access to the block a little more troubling then normal but nothing crazy.
With the panel out the block is located to the left of the column. The two relays that are important to this issue are In the upper row, first two from the right, one is for fan speed and the other for fan delay. I pulled the second from the right and the fans finally stopped! Replaced it with one from the parts store for $11, and everything was back to normal. This one was a 60 amp with a big 213 on the top.
Carefully replace the kick panel and you are on your way!