audi cab no start

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I know your response is nearly 2 years old but, I have the same exact problem with my 96 cab and went to the link you provided and tried to order it and finally got a message that said the importation could not happen and I should contact the dealer. Do you know of a workaround in order to import this part, please, so that I can once again drive my vehicle? TIA

md
seattle
Old 04-22-2019, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

You can check out eBay.de and there s a seller in Germany that has a couple of those for sale new for about $100. You will need to contact the seller and see if they will ship to the USA. Be nice and start your message with humility..it works. See the link: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Lenkschloss-...frcectupt=true
Old 04-24-2019, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank-you Rusty for the reply. I checked the link and found out that it (4B0905851B) won't fit according to the eBay fitment function. The part number ends w/ B and my needed part number itself is right but ends w/ A which is good through 1996.
I will have my mechanic verify on Friday if it will start again that the ignition steering lock cylinder is the part needed and not the switch or relay, etc. I now have a parts car if unable to have a push-button starter wired in in case anyone wants to buy it and have it towed. It was silver like your pic and in excellent condition w/only 135,000 miles until I was sideswiped while parked on the street's steep hill in a unusual February snowfall challenged my neighbor''s driving skills and sensibility here in Seattle. A not-so-funny thing is that my previous 1994 Cab that I repaired, maintained and drove since 1999 was also totaled by a neighbor's ineptness just last year. If it weren't for bad luck, I would have no luck at all relative to my Audi. sheesh. Planned obsolescence is a thing.

Cheers,
md
seattle
Old 04-24-2019, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The lock cylinder part number should be 8A0905851A in the eBay.de link..anyways if you need that assembly they have them in Germany. They do not fail usually. It may be the electrical switch.

Routine failure of the electrical part of the switch is very, very common. Do have your mechanic remove and inspect the old switch. When they fail either the starter (or other electrical items) will not work intermittently or even worse..the starter will engage while the engine is running and destroy the ring gear and stater too. Replacing the electrical part of the switch is easy enough, takes about an hour or two... Use your Bentley if you have one.

Part number 4B0905849 and was used in a lot of Audi cars 1996 to 2008. The original switches were very failure prone. It took VW/Audi about ten years to get the switch right. Dont buy an aftermarket switch if you need one. Get an OEM from VW or Audi. Same part number.

If your ignition key feels/turns soft like the spring is weak..you have a bad ignition switch. Sometimes you cannot tell though..they just break.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank-you for all the knowledge and experience you freely share. I have read many of your thoughtful responses relative to my ride(s) over the years. You are what the airhead beemers club refers to as a "guru".
Based on the part number you supplied, I found this Meyle for $31 incl. shipping in the US:
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/4B0905849MY
and on ebay a suspected made in China brand Spectromatic from a seller with less than stellar buyer feedback for $18:

the penny wise and pound foolish axiom applies, I suspect.

cheers,
md
seattle
mark.dierking@gmail.com
Old 05-06-2019, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dierking
Thank-you for all the knowledge and experience you freely share. I have read many of your thoughtful responses relative to my ride(s) over the years. You are what the airhead beemers club refers to as a "guru".
Based on the part number you supplied, I found this Meyle for $31 incl. shipping in the US:
and on ebay a suspected made in China brand Spectromatic from a seller with less than stellar buyer feedback for $18:

the penny wise and pound foolish axiom applies, I suspect.

cheers,
md

seattle
mark.dierking@gmail.com

MD..thanks and I had an R75/5 with a Heinrick 10 gallon tank I rode for years..but that is another story.

Do not buy that white switch..you can see the place where the return spring is fitted(black dot)..that is the reason they always cracked. The OEM black switch has the spring firmly embedded in the switch so it will not break. Just bit the bullet and get OEM..it hurts but you will never have to do the job again.

When I bought my Cab and A6-C4(s) the first thing I do is replace the ignition switch..well..maybe the second thing after an oil change..but just ditch the old ignition switch as a maintenance item.