Brake Light circuit short - blows fuse immediately - 1998 Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Light circuit short - blows fuse immediately - 1998 Cabriolet

Brake Light circuit short - blows fuse immediately

This was an intermittent problem for about 2 years, but has now progressed to every time.
Up until now I thought it might have something to do with the Shift lock solenoid, because that was when we would notice the problem, but I now I am beginning to question that. I use to be able to replace the fuse and go for a little bit without needing to replace it. Now I can only get it out of park once and need to replace the fuse again. The car has been in the garage for the winter and I would like to try and fix this myself and get it back on the road for the summer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-21-2012, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Definitely a short to ground. Now comes the fun part: you have to track it down. If you have been changing fuses for two years w/o trying to fix it, methinks you need a newer cabrio that is not an audi. These cars unfortunately have many quirks that require much tinkering in-house, i.e. very few indy shops are competent And even fewer have the tools to work on them. I have about 12 years working on B4--- and still run into oddball things that are beyond all logic. Only audi would design an AC system without a low side port, for example. Go figure. Common sense tells me to check the operation of your brake switch.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This was my wife "summer only car" I think it blew twice two years ago, once last year, then my wife lent the car to her God Son. I had to go help him get it out of park at 2 am and its been in the garage ever since.

I just bought the factory service manual and plan on doing the fiddling myself. I have an friend who works on Porsche's that will help me if I run into anything big. But he suggested that I put a question on on the forums to get my feet wet.

I was looking at the wiring diagrams last night for the first time.