Coil spring stuck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil spring stuck?

I have an Audi 90 fwd. Recently I took a trip. When I was crossing into South Carolina I hit a really bad pothole. It hit so hard that it broke the rearview mirror right off the glass. And to an extreme amount of cursing I made it home. Since than I have noticed a popping sound from the front left corner. It doesn't do it all the time. But if im accelerating from a standstill itll pop. Or if im say backing out itll pop when the wheels turning. It doesnt do it like clockwork. Just every now and again. I took a look and nothing seemed broken. So I drove the car like that for a few more weeks. And on a recent drive I noticed I was hitting bumps really hard. You know that banging feeling you get on a car with air suspension when the bags have failed? It felt just like that. So I pulled off the highway into a gas station. And the same corner that was ravaged by the pothole was sitting really low. I jacked the car up and low and behold the front coilspring was stuck up in the compressed position. I tried turning the wheel. Putting pressure on it but nothing. I limped it back and it came unstuck. But it sticks often enough were I dont want to dive it. Its really hard and will bounce me out of my seat. So im wondering what could it be? The spring is in good looking shape. And the perch looks good. The struts,while a little rusty, dont appear to be leaking fluid. And they still travel fine. They feel bent. So im starting to suspect its the strut bushing/bearing. What do you guys think? Could a broken bushing be causing the coil to bind in the fully upward position? Or is it something else?Cant really afford new struts and springs atm.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*The stuts arent bent. That was a typo.