Convertible Top Stopped Working

Old 06-27-2013, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Convertible Top Stopped Working
I have a 1994 Cabriolet. Last week, the top didn't fold into the storage compartment correctly, and I had to manually raise it back up. It's happened once before in the past 7 years I've owned the car. Before it resumed proper functioning without any problem, but this time it stopped retracting or closing. When the top is closed or fully opened (done manually) the warning indicator in the dashboard in not illuminated or flashing. When the top is closed, the windows are fully raised and the e-brake set, the 4 windows automatically lower as soon as I release the locking lever, as if it's going to retract, but nothing else happens. If I manually release and lock the left emergency release latch, I can hear the trunk lock click. It doesn't happen with the right latch, only the left.

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM TOO PLEASE HELP
Old 08-09-2013, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default location of components

Hubturn - thanks for the repair tips. I just bought a ratty 98 Cab. I've not torn into it yet, but the top is not working. Could be anything at this point - pump, controller, solenoids, switches... I'll check the switches first, but before I go searching can you tell me where the hydraulic unit and the controller are located?
Old 08-09-2013, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pkelly
Hubturn - thanks for the repair tips. I just bought a ratty 98 Cab. I've not torn into it yet, but the top is not working. Could be anything at this point - pump, controller, solenoids, switches... I'll check the switches first, but before I go searching can you tell me where the hydraulic unit and the controller are located?
The hydraulic unit is in the right side of the trunk. The controller for the top is under the back seat towards the passenger side.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

pkelly - the top is a thing of engineering beauty when it works and a major PITA when it doesn't. Since that was just your second post, note that almost always, failure of the top is a series of broken wire issues. However, since your Cab is 'ratty' you should know that some have had top problems due to a bad battery. Also, the car must be stopped and parking brake set to start top activation. A simple thing like a bad or poorly adjusted parking brake 'on' switch will stop top operation immediately. Look for some of my older post to find PDF pages of top wiring diagram, top operating sequence, etc. If your Cab is really ratty, be aware that the ignition switch is a focal point for all types of strange symptoms. It is easy to replace, too.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default response appreciated.

Thanks. I will be checking the wiring and switches as soon as I get it back from the transmission shop... I was reading about the ignition switch as a possible culprit to the temp and gas gauges not working - maybe I'll try that first. I have copied your pages of the wiring diagrams that will help a lot. I think at least the top fully closed switch or the locked switch is not making contact because the light flashes when it is closed and locked. I'll try to get that going also. I'm sure it's going to be a real PITA as you say, proverbial needle in the hay stack.

Originally Posted by hubturn
pkelly - the top is a thing of engineering beauty when it works and a major PITA when it doesn't. Since that was just your second post, note that almost always, failure of the top is a series of broken wire issues. However, since your Cab is 'ratty' you should know that some have had top problems due to a bad battery. Also, the car must be stopped and parking brake set to start top activation. A simple thing like a bad or poorly adjusted parking brake 'on' switch will stop top operation immediately. Look for some of my older post to find PDF pages of top wiring diagram, top operating sequence, etc. If your Cab is really ratty, be aware that the ignition switch is a focal point for all types of strange symptoms. It is easy to replace, too.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pkelly
Thanks. I will be checking the wiring and switches as soon as I get it back from the transmission shop... I was reading about the ignition switch as a possible culprit to the temp and gas gauges not working - maybe I'll try that first. I have copied your pages of the wiring diagrams that will help a lot. I think at least the top fully closed switch or the locked switch is not making contact because the light flashes when it is closed and locked. I'll try to get that going also. I'm sure it's going to be a real PITA as you say, proverbial needle in the hay stack.
The one good thing you have going for you is the car is OBD2 so you may be able to scan it with VAG-COM and have it pinpoint the problem(s).
Old 08-14-2013, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mike is right. The OBD2 Cabs have a better system to diagnose the top. OBD1 Cabs have to look at the VAG-COM block values to determine switch positions. I don't know how the OBD2 cars do it, just that it must be better. Recognize that even though the scan may indicate switch XYZ is not in the correct position, it may verey well be the wiring, and not the switch itself. I hope you have the Bentleys manual.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm interested in what you have to say about my problems.

Audi Electrical and mechanical problems with a 1994 Audi Cabriolet

#1. First off, the convertible top does not work. The switch that operates the top will not do anything. After several attempts it finally started to move the top through the motions but would stop retracting as soon as it got to the point where the rear lid would open up about 6 inches and everything would stop at that point. The hydraulic fluid level appears to be ok. The switch would work to get the top back down, fortunately. Now the switch will not do anything.

#2. Just recently after getting into the car after unlocking the door the ignition key would not start the car. Panel lights would come on but no ignition. After several attempts I finally got the idea to reach outside the car and lock the doors while sitting in the car, and the car finally started. Now this is the only way I can start the car.

#3. I stopped to put gas in the car and couldn’t figure out how to open the gas door. I couldn’t find this valuable information in the manual, I had to go online to find the solution. Both doors have to be unlocked in order to open the gas door. So when I reach over to unlock the passenger door the door locks start pulsating up and down, up and down and never stop pulsating until I lock the drivers door with the key. Also the alarm goes off when I open the locked passenger door from the inside.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Put the top on the back burner for now. Sounds like a bad ignition switch. So many things are affected by that. Easy to replace. There are many write ups on this. You need not fear, this procedure replaces the electrical component and not the key tumbler. There's a photo of the switch in a recent posting. Get back to the top after the switch is replaced.