Heater Core How-To

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 02:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bookmarked this but hope I never have to look at it again.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by T-Rex
I'm changing the heater core on '93 Audi 90 quattro following these instructions. Great write up!

I just wanna add a couple of notes:

- No airbags! Saves some time.

- I couldn't figure out how to remove the shifter boot, the plastic base of it. There is actually a little screw that holds it from the rear side, near the bolt that holds the tunnel to the floor.

- When the time came to remove the dash out, it wouldn't go! First, it was the side vents clipped to the dash board with the wire clips. They could be reached from the bottom. Easy! But then the windshield defroster duct was still holding the dash. After looking around with the flash light, I saw a screw on the left side of the duct. But the space is so tight I couldn't put the screw driver in, so I used the philips bit on the small socket wrench. Worked alright. After that it was free!

I didn't finish it got dark outside, I'll finish tomorrow.

To get to the nuts under the hood I will probably remove the air intake to get more room.
Just to add to that, the hardest part of the process was removing the heater box. As explained in the instructions, 6 clips need to be removed. I only managed to remove 2 on the front, one on top, and one on the bottom, and I couldn't remove the 2 on the back. After struggling for about half an hour, I just used some force and wiggled the box abit, and broke both clips off.

When I was putting everything back together, I only managed to put 3 clips back. Anyway, I doesn't look like it is going somewhere.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by UrScubed
- The passenger side airbag has to come out. It's held with one gigantic Torx bolt that's accessible from underneath once (and only once) the glove box is out. This has to go back in before the glove box also- guess how I know that?
- Once the passenger airbag is out, you need to pull a short section of ducting that's directly behind it.
- Once the short duct AND the airbag are out, you can pull the 4 torx screws they were hiding.
- I also had to pull 3 screws that hold a harness to the driver's side of the dash- these are exposed when the knee panel is removed.
- Once all that's done, the dash comes out complete with most of the ducting.
I have a 1995 audi 90 and found the four screws behind the passenger airbag and the short piece of ducting, but could not find the 3 screws on the driver side. My dash has some wiggle room, but will not come out!?! Any help?
Old 10-25-2011, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the great "how-to"!!!! Did mine this weekend and with your pics and instructions, got it down in about 9 hours. Yes, I took my time.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I used this as my guide and replaced my heater core in my 1995 audi 90, and it only took me one weekend to complete it. This is a really comprehensive guide.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jdmeyer
I used this as my guide and replaced my heater core in my 1995 audi 90, and it only took me one weekend to complete it. This is a really comprehensive guide.
Agreed. I did mine last weekend using this thread and the one from motorgeek. The job was quite tedious, but not difficult. My only problem now is that I have a consistent airbag light. I must have connected something wrong or damaged one of the airbags during the process. That being said, I don't really care enough to go hunting for the problem...it does annoy me immensely, however...ugh...maybe I'll try to track it down. lol

Motorgeek link:
http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38529
Old 07-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by nooB5
Agreed. I did mine last weekend using this thread and the one from motorgeek. The job was quite tedious, but not difficult. My only problem now is that I have a consistent airbag light. I must have connected something wrong or damaged one of the airbags during the process. That being said, I don't really care enough to go hunting for the problem...it does annoy me immensely, however...ugh...maybe I'll try to track it down. lol

Motorgeek link:
First and easiest place to look is the disconnect under the driver dash panel. There is an access hatch just for it. When I bought my car the light was on and looked like the PO (who had removed the air bag at one point) forgot to reconnect it.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nooB5

Motorgeek link:
Originally Posted by Harzley
First and easiest place to look is the disconnect under the driver dash panel. There is an access hatch just for it. When I bought my car the light was on and looked like the PO (who had removed the air bag at one point) forgot to reconnect it.
I know it's been a while, but just as a follow up. The illuminated airbag light after my heater core job ended up being a simple issue of having to be reset via vagcom.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

great job on the pics. did mine today i have to say the biggest was the middle ducting really kicked my @ss
Old 10-17-2012, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

another option is the "can opener method" take out the wiper assembly and can opener on top of the heater core and lift it out. You also need to saw two slots in the metal cowling over the plastic inlet tubes and get that section of metal cowling out of the way. It works and takes about 2 to 3 hours. I've done 4 of them that way. Just about every audi 90 has had or will have a leaking heater core by now.
hushpuppy

Quick Reply: Heater Core How-To