jbrentd's Project Coupe Quattro

Old 10-14-2013, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by colorado coupe
Which model Audi did you get the steering wheel from? I need a new one
I pulled this one from an '95 UrS6 at a local salvage yard. They can also be found on '96-'97 A4's, but they aren't as common. Later A4's had a different tooth count on the spline.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Back in business...

Name:  null_zpsff10b4be.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  64.4 KB
Old 10-26-2013, 03:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love what you're doing!
Old 09-10-2018, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Bringing some of my old threads for this car back from the dead.

I sold the CQ back in Feb 2014 and I quickly regretted that decision. I ate away at me and I recently contacted the guy I sold it to. Come to find out, it's been sitting in his shop for a couple of years after it developed an issue with the engine. He indicated that he would sell it back to me for quite a bit less than I sold it to him. I made the drive to central Kansas and trailered it home a couple weeks ago.

jbrentd's Project Coupe Quattro-7wesgtr.jpg

In the 4-1/2 years he owned it, he was able to complete the DIY coilovers, get the AC system working again, and a whole bunch of other small maintenance/repair stuff.

Needless to say, I'm pretty excited to have it back, but a little nervous on what it'll take to get it running again. Compression test shows no pressure in cyl #3 and a couple bent valves could be seen on the borescope. I'm starting to disassemble the engine now. Maybe it's time to swap something different into it.

jbrentd's Project Coupe Quattro-ba4hxtd.jpg
Old 09-12-2018, 10:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great job, that is labor of love to restore a 25+ year old Audi. Really surprised you found new lower trim as last I seen it was NLA many years ago.

Around 4-5 years ago I grabbed one of the last trims for my B4, sourced from various dealers around the country sitting on their shelf.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by egp320i
Great job, that is labor of love to restore a 25+ year old Audi. Really surprised you found new lower trim as last I seen it was NLA many years ago.

Around 4-5 years ago I grabbed one of the last trims for my B4, sourced from various dealers around the country sitting on their shelf.
Thanks. Yeah, I bought them from GVAP back in 2012. They had the whole set in stock at that time. They weren't cheap, but it was worth it to me at the time. The one thing I couldn't find was the clips that hold them to the car. I was fortunate enough to find someone who had ditched the trim and shaved the studs.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've been working on it a little at a time and have drained the coolant and oil, removed all of the intake, valve cover and head bolts. I started to remove the exhaust manifold, but could not get to the 2 rear nuts on the bottom. So, I moved to the EM/downpipe flange. Next is to separate the head.

Just some notes along the way:
  • I work slow!
  • There are wasp and muddobber nests EVERYWHERE on this thing. I wish I would have taken pictures of them...it would make quite a collage.
  • I probably shouldn't care about breaking/shearing bolts and that's part of the reason I am so slow.
  • I only got a very small of amount of coolant out when I drained it. But I didn't see any in the oil.

Last edited by jbrentd; 09-13-2018 at 05:17 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

With the bent valves, the engine is obviously out on its timing. Did some checking to see how far out it is and it looks like it off by about 3 teeth on the TB.

It looks like the reason the TB skipped was a build up of dirt and debris in the cogs of the cam, water pump and crank sprockets. You can see the build up on the cam sprocket around 10-11 o'clock position in the first pic.

More mud dobber nests...getting chewed up by the water pump, I guess.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Going to inspect the cylinder walls for signs of damage and then check the piston deck height across all cylinders. If everything looks okay there, the plan is to take the head to a local machine shop to have it checked out.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The deck clearance numbers showed cylinders 1-4 were about +0.5mm (above) and #5 was about -0.5mm (below). I decided to not spend any more time/money on the original 7a engine. So, it is out and on the stand. With it stripped down to just the short block, it was pretty easy to remove by myself with just a jack.

jbrentd's Project Coupe Quattro-a6kj24b.jpg

jbrentd's Project Coupe Quattro-ouuqn9x.jpg

More mud dauber nests

jbrentd's Project Coupe Quattro-aw2uyoc.jpg

jbrentd's Project Coupe Quattro-kr3omwc.jpg

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: jbrentd's Project Coupe Quattro