Looking For a Set of Aftermarket Wheels for My 97 Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 02:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

For one, this is assuming they will be doing the work. This also assumes that hubs from such cars are readily available (not too many V8's in yards anymore, many have been crushed) and it assumes that those same hubs that worked on a quattro will work on a FWD car (they don't, at least not the rears due to the beam axle). Plus, I'd never recommend re-drilling the bolt circle on the rotors to have the 5x112 pattern, so you should replace the 4x108 rotors with appropriate 5x112 versions.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cuatrokoop
For one, this is assuming they will be doing the work. This also assumes that hubs from such cars are readily available (not too many V8's in yards anymore, many have been crushed) and it assumes that those same hubs that worked on a quattro will work on a FWD car (they don't, at least not the rears due to the beam axle). Plus, I'd never recommend re-drilling the bolt circle on the rotors to have the 5x112 pattern, so you should replace the 4x108 rotors with appropriate 5x112 versions.
I assume if you want something nice and good it cost money.
however with a little research you can save tons of money, you dont have to buy it from 034 for $1000 the hubs.
The junk yard and v8/urs4/urs6 was just an example, it can be source for a very little money from various forums, car-part.com or even an original from s2forum.
cabriolet is not quattro, so the rear is much easier to convert.
and re-drilling the rotors is just one way to do it, many rotors are bolt on, and for reasonable price.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice cabriolet but I would say to do a face lift, as in getting rid of the impact bar and pushing center in and tying it down, but only if you are confident you wont crash into something lol. Also I think if you can custom drill a set of rims to fit your car, at least I think that's what the previous owner of my car did because I cant find my rims anywhere with 4 lug.

Name:  IMAG1083_zps77ef106f.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  66.7 KB
Old 04-16-2013, 05:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jbasilio95b4
Nice cabriolet but I would say to do a face lift, as in getting rid of the impact bar and pushing center in and tying it down, but only if you are confident you wont crash into something lol. Also I think if you can custom drill a set of rims to fit your car, at least I think that's what the previous owner of my car did because I cant find my rims anywhere with 4 lug.

I'm thinking about doing a facelift, but since this car is going be my daily A-B car I'm debating how much I want to put into it. I did come across some wheels on ebay that I liked (they're 4-108 and 4-100), but I still have to do some more research. The car only had one owner and it's in great shape and only has 89K miles on it. Since I've only had it a few days, I'm still looking into the possibilities before I make any rash decisions.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 04-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

These are the wheels that I'm looking at, are anyone else running 18X7.5 wheels with a 42 offset?

Style: DR-19

Size: 18x7.5

Bolt Pattern: 4x100/4x108

Offset: +42mm
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2013, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I am quite aware about the Cabrio, my CQ spent many a day parked next to my sister's '98 Pelican Blue Cabrio.

I am just cautioning that swapping to 5x112 isn't easy and, depending on the parts found, not always cheap. You got a great deal on the parts for your CQ, and were able to do it yourself. No clue what the OP's ability is, access to the necessary tools, etc.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Run a 5mm spacer with factory length lug bolts and you'll be good. Tire size will need to be at least a 225 wide tire for that wheel width. Factory lug bolts are ball seat, most aftermarket are cone seat, so you can't use the factory bolts.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cuatrokoop
Run a 5mm spacer with factory length lug bolts and you'll be good. Tire size will need to be at least a 225 wide tire for that wheel width. Factory lug bolts are ball seat, most aftermarket are cone seat, so you can't use the factory bolts.
Hello cuatrokoop,

Thanks I appreciate the info, that's just what I needed to know.

Tony
Old 04-18-2013, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Oh, and you'll most likely need a hub centric ring (I'd imagine that a VW or Audi was not the first application for those wheels, so they probably have a 66.x or 70-something mm center bore in lieu of the Audi 57.x mm bore). The place you buy the wheels from should be able to sell you the proper bolts, rings and maybe even the spacer. Otherwise spacers are available on ebay, and even the rings are as well.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Okay I got a message back from the retailer that I was going to get the wheels from and they said that they wouldn't fit. So I decided to look at Tire Rack since I pick up a lot of my tires from them and I came across the wheels below and they said there will be no issues with them fitting without the addition of spacers or hub rings. They come with lug and I'm picking up some tires as well and they're mounting and balancing them at no charge.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/MiniW...d=true&sw=1280

Quick Reply: Looking For a Set of Aftermarket Wheels for My 97 Cabriolet