Need an opinion on this vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need an opinion on this vehicle

Hey, I'm new to these forums, just figured I'd come here to get a second opinion on a 1990 coupe quattro I found for sale for $1000.

It has the 20v 2.3l engine, about 330,000 km on it (200,000 miles), and the outside is in decent condition with a few surface rust spots here and there. The interior is quite clean as well, cloth seats with wood accents, all gauges are there etc. Under the hood looks fairly clean as well.

I was talking to the guy who owns the car and he says it has some lifter noise or possibly valve lash (he's sent a video where you can hear the noise). He purchased it off a guy who used to daily the vehicle, but he says it's been sitting for probably 4 years now.

He's showed me a video of the vehicle running (w/ no CEL) and it seems to run fine, although he didn't show it actually moving. He's done no maintenance to the vehicle, he bought it about a year ago and towed it to his place where it's been sitting there since. Everything is stock. It's also apparently the 158th 20v ever made, according to the VIN. It's sitting on winter tires with decent tread.

I would most likely have to tow it home, as I live nearly 5 hours away from the guy, but is this worth taking home? Should I buy it? I know it would most definitely need some work to be really roadworthy, as well as an inspection, etc but I'm willing to do what needs to be done to get this car in atleast decent shape mechanically.

Here's a few pictures of the car:
Old 06-30-2017, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

lifter noise or possibly valve lash?

Probably the hydraulic lifters have collapsed because the car sat for a long time..they will likely "pump up" after the car is driven a while...

Looks like an interesting project car
Old 06-30-2017, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So then this seems like a pretty intriguing offer... Only a thousand dollars for a car that may require a little suspension work, basic maintenance, brakes, oil plugs wires etc. Of course it may need a lot more cause I have no clue on the condition of the PS pump and whatnot but hey that's a risk I'm willing to take.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

you definitely need to do basic maintenance first, t-belt and related components, oil/fuel/air filters, spark plugs, flush the brakes, youll flush the coolant when you are doing the t-belt. but as long as the body is solid and interior is ok, i would go for it. also, don't forget to replace all your small vacuum lines as they are most likely dry rotted by now. p.s. i think the paint will polish out pretty good
Old 07-05-2017, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Get it! I miss mine dearly. So fun to drive.

I wish I would have appreciated it more and had taken better care of it but I didn't know what I had at the time. Wow.. Sounds like a failed relationship haha.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 4000fixes
I wish I would have appreciated it more and had taken better care of it but I didn't know what I had at the time. Wow.. Sounds like a failed relationship haha.
i think you are ready for some therapy ;-)