No starting when engine warmed up.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No starting when engine warmed up.

Hi. I have a 1995 Audi 80 Cabriolet with a quirk. The car starts and runs - all seems well. However once warm, if stopped it will not the restart. Fuel pump, filter and fuel lines are okay but I have not checked for spark at plugs. It seems odd. Leave the car for 30 mins to cool and it starts again first time. I'm quite technical - have tools and basic ammeter etc - so please let me have any ideas
Old 04-06-2018, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It"s probably your crankshaft position sensor. They heat up and lose contact and when it cools off it works.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by topdown98
It"s probably your crankshaft position sensor. They heat up and lose contact and when it cools off it works.
Thanks for this advice. Yo may be right although today i've done more work and have had different outcomes.
I got up at 7am as the car was going for the first MoT since I bought it . I put the wipers back on and had another look at the fuse box. At a glance there were no blown fuses but having removed one it was surprisingly dusty - even the metal spades. In the end, one by one, I removed most of them, made sure they were clean and re-inserted.
Car started fine and I drove to MOT centre. The engine was now hot and tempting fate I turned it off and was amazed to get a perfect restart.....
I witnessed the MoT at 4pm and again was amazed to see the car being run until warm ,shut down and restarted (twice). It seemed my 7am. work I had fixed all.....
Tonight I went back to the MoT centre to collect the car and .... it will not fire up.
I tried wiggling fuses but no start.
I can see fuel is low and so will get some
Tomorrow i propose to go back there in daylight, check all fuses, top up the petrol and see if the cool air of early morning gets the this girl going. If not, it strikes me the MoT centre may have some diagnostic kit to identify a fault .....
I would however, value any more comments.

I will look into the crankshaft sensor because its the kind of thing I could change myself and I know enough about electrics to run some tests on a unit once removed. .
On that note - do you know of any cheap car manual that covers the V6 2.6 engine. I got Haynes' manuals for the earlier Audi 80 coupe and also the Audi 100 saloon (from 1991) which are helpful but nether covers the V6 engine.

Any advice really appreciated.

Regards

Nigel
Old 04-14-2018, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default updatde

okay,
Having got a good auto electrician to look at the car, his diagnostic kit identified the fault as the camshaft sensor - on the left hand cyl head. I've ordered one and will confirm when it works!
Crankshaft sensor on this occasion read all okay on diagnostics
I'm grateful for the help

nigel