A quick, easy AC issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 12:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A quick, easy AC issue

HOW does one get the belt on? It's the only device that I can't find a tensioner for. Already pried one belt on only for it to snap and fly off. Don't want to put one on again the wrong way, as the ridiculous 'snub-mount' is involved.

The car has finally come along far enough that it's worth putting air in.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

What engine do you have? A 20v five cylinder or the 4 cylinder?
Old 06-23-2017, 08:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

2.0 4 pot. Did they use the 5cyl in a fwd? That'd be sweet.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sorry..I meant the 10v 5 cylinder engine..which looks like it may have been used on the 90..not the 80..

The A/C belt iis properly tensioned when it can be pushed in approximately 5mm (5/16 in.) at the center. The V-belt replacement or tension adjustment is done by splitting the pulley halves then installing your belt then adding or removing or installing shims between the crankshaft pulley halves to get the correct tension.

Should be four bolts you remove to split the crank pulley and there should be shims inside there and maybe some on the outside too.. store any extra shims on the outside of the pulley halves for later use.

Last edited by Rusty Spokes; 06-23-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That...is...insane
They really couldn't just put that on a tensioner too? Oh yea, I bought an 80's Audi. Anything goes.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I was talking to my shop about the AC belt install. There may be a tool used for the shims?
Yes/no? I really don't want to deal with it but it's been 90 degrees and humid and since I just sold my vehicle that did have AC I may just have the shop deal with the belt. But they aren't going to try something they don't have the tool for.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No special tool for the shims. The shop may be thinking about adjusting the A/C compressor clutch..which requires a tool. Very different job.

VW/Audi/Porsche liked to use shims to adjust belts..look at a 911 or VW air cooled and they used shims on the alternator/generator to get the correct tension on the belt or change the belt. Same deal on your a/c belt except it is done on the crankshaft.

Your engine has a split pulley on the crankshaft for the a/c belt (just inside that outer belt pulley)..you should be able to use hand tools and remove the four bolts that hold the outer accessory pulley and the two a/c pulley halves together. Once the outer a/c pulley half is off..put your belt on and install the outer pulley half back on and while turning the crankshaft..tighten the four bolts back on the outer pulley...you turn the crankshaft so as not pinch the belt and go around a few times to get the four bolts snug.

Once tight..check your belt tension..if it is too loose..take the outer pulley off and remove a shim or two.

It really took longer to write this than the time, once the car is on a ramp..to remove the outer pulley half and install your belt. It is not a difficult job..but any older senatorial mechanic familiar with VW should know how to do the job. Very common repair 20/30 years ago.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Drive Belt Check, Adjustment and Replacement

I found this, which also explains what you just said. As you cited, air cooled stuff....
Sliding off/putting back on was my thought of course I get to move the power steering belt out of the way again too. The previous AC belt looked somewhat recent unfortunately it was only removed by me to replace the alt/water pump belt. Ya know, the most important one, and the one that the last person neglected to change. Had about a 10-groove chunk out of it.
Last guy said AC worked but went warm eventually so once the belt is on I'll just be sniffing the leak! And hoping it's not a condenser pin hole or something expensive.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

UPDATE:
Belt is on, system charged and AC is cold! Haven't gotten a good 90 degree hot/humid day yet but it definitely fights the heat well. Has already given people chills. The PO said he thought it had a leak. I filled the system with one large can of AC PRO, an oil charge and a dye charge. So far it's been run for probably 10 hours with no decrease in cold. Works just as good at idle which means the system is in good shape, in my opinion. My Dodge AC only worked well when in motion.
The only complaint I have is that I can feel the compressor pull on the motor while driving. It does not make noise so perhaps that's just how an '88 with AC is.