Audi A1 Discussion forum for the Audi A1

Gearbox overheated!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox overheated!

Hi Guys! I'm from Sri Lankan and I drive an Automatic Audi A1 1000cc 2016 model done 20000Kms. Recently I ended up going uphill on a considerably steep road. For road was damaged, I was going on very slow and for I didn't feel engine getting any trouble, I didn't turn off the AC. For the fact I was going very slowly, I think I was continuously on lower gears. After about 20 mins of climbing, Suddenly popped up a message saying my gearbox is overheated and to stop the vehicle. So I immediately stopped my vehicle uphill and put to reverse and slowly was able to reverse my vehicle to a roadside where I stopped the engine and put to Parking gear. After about 2 mins the message went away but I could feel a rubber burning smell which I suspected, came from burning transmission oil. After that incident, I decided not to climb the hill and went down and parked my vehicle and came back after an hour or two and drove back home. On the journey home, I didn't feel any "discomfort" in gear changes but after bitter experiences with the previous vehicle I had own, I'm kind of a frantic about gearbox issues (I had a honda fit gd1-that gearbox easily went bad- a model famous for its gearbox problems). I always felt a very very subtle vibration on the steering wheel when starting to accelerate uphills even before this issue. Now after this, I can't tell if it has increased or my mind is frantic about it after this experience so I feel that I'm getting it a little bit more. What is your best advice?
can a full system scan detect a damage happen to the gearbox if any?
should I change my transmission oil immediately? before the recommended 35000-40000Km range?
Thanks a lot for your time!
Old 12-19-2019, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by alex3003
Hi Guys! I'm from Sri Lankan and I drive an Automatic Audi A1 1000cc 2016 model done 20000Kms. Recently I ended up going uphill on a considerably steep road. For road was damaged, I was going on very slow and for I didn't feel engine getting any trouble, I didn't turn off the AC. For the fact I was going very slowly, I think I was continuously on lower gears. After about 20 mins of climbing, Suddenly popped up a message saying my gearbox is overheated and to stop the vehicle. So I immediately stopped my vehicle uphill and put to reverse and slowly was able to reverse my vehicle to a roadside where I stopped the engine and put to Parking gear. After about 2 mins the message went away but I could feel a rubber burning smell which I suspected, came from burning transmission oil. After that incident, I decided not to climb the hill and went down and parked my vehicle and came back after an hour or two and drove back home. On the journey home, I didn't feel any "discomfort" in gear changes but after bitter experiences with the previous vehicle I had own, I'm kind of a frantic about gearbox issues (I had a honda fit gd1-that gearbox easily went bad- a model famous for its gearbox problems). I always felt a very very subtle vibration on the steering wheel when starting to accelerate uphills even before this issue. Now after this, I can't tell if it has increased or my mind is frantic about it after this experience so I feel that I'm getting it a little bit more. What is your best advice?
can a full system scan detect a damage happen to the gearbox if any?
should I change my transmission oil immediately? before the recommended 35000-40000Km range?
Thanks a lot for your time!
there is what’s called a tcm in your car which monitors all functions of the transmission. If there’s a problem you’ll see either a check engine light or in your case overheating message. Don’t worry the limit for overheating is set lower than normal since dealers don’t want to keep shelling out warranty repairs. The rubber smell is likely a rubber hose close to the trans. I would lift the hood and do a visual inspection of all the rubber hoses. Trans oil is inexpensive. Change it if it gives you piece of mind.