Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

2006 A3 Rear Tail Light bulb not burned out / causes sensor to alert

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 A3 Rear Tail Light bulb not burned out / causes sensor to alert

I am having an unusual issue with the right rear tail light on my A3 2.0 T Auto DSG

The right rear tail light bulb does not seem to function properly. When I take apart the assembly and remove the bulb and reinsert the bulb sometimes it works. Unfortunately just for a couple of minutes.

No sooner I replace the red plastic outer housing the bulb stops working again and the sensor in the dash console gets tripped again.

A service mechanic at my local dealer was also able to make the light work momentarily. As soon as I pulled out of the bay doors the tail light went out again and the sensor was tripped again.

In my conversation with service mechanic he suggested that perhaps a new tail light assembly might be the best resolve for the issue.

Today I tried replacing the original tail light assembly with a brand new rear tail light assembly with new bulbs. Sorry to report the problem still exists.

Now that I know it is not the assembly, I put the original tail light assembly back the car.

I wonder if it might now be a wiring or ground issue? Has anyone come across this issue with the tail light assembly on their vehicle? If so, is there a way to resolve the issue, I have taken apart the tail light assembly as far I can. Sorry to report I don't know much about taking apart the wiring.

I would be grateful for any direction or suggestion that anyone can offer.
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2012, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bulb out detection on the A3 seems to have gremlins sometimes. It may take a while for the system to decide that you actually have a good bulb and to start powering it again.