Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

2015 Audi A3 engine noise dealer falsely diagnosed

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 11:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by findalex
Looking at your video again, I noticed the noise got louder when you were directly under the transmission (the white metal part).

It's possibly the Dual Mass Flywheel

@ 1:27 (ignore the diesel clatter)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrseAZVH6I8)

@ 2:26 (ignore the diesel clatter, the pitch is almost exactly like yours)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVcLGI0x5N0

Wow that second video sounds almost exactly the same pitch as my issue. The timing of the noise is pretty identical as well. I will definitely keep this in mind when I bring it in to Audi in a couple weeks and let you know what they end up finding out. I really appreciate the help, it means a lot! Hopefully they're able to get to the bottom of it. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by findalex
Looking at your video again, I noticed the noise got louder when you were directly under the transmission (the white metal part).

It's possibly the Dual Mass Flywheel

@ 1:27 (ignore the diesel clatter)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrseAZVH6I8)

@ 2:26 (ignore the diesel clatter, the pitch is almost exactly like yours)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVcLGI0x5N0
Just wanted to give a quick update. I brought it to a different dealership on Thursday last week and they called me yesterday to tell me what was going on with the car.

They said that it looked as though the turbo had never been removed and replaced or put back, my turbo apparently looked as though it came right from the factory so dealership #2 believes #1 didn’t do a damn thing to the car. They also said that the problem had nothing to do with the turbo whatsoever, and that it was actually the transmission and there was something (can’t remember the exact term) that is grinding inside, and that it was probably built this way and was a defect from the beginning. It has to do with the gearing and the way that they spin, I forgot his explanation because they called when i was in the middle of a million things at work. But they said that there was no way to fix it other than replacing the entire transmission. So I now have to wait till late next week to pick up my car as they’re replacing the entire transmission.

Thank god it is still under warranty haha
Old 09-11-2018, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

^ Congrats on getting a true diagnosis and having a new transmission on the way under warranty!
Old 09-12-2018, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Daltonnthomas1

Just wanted to give a quick update. I brought it to a different dealership on Thursday last week and they called me yesterday to tell me what was going on with the car.

They said that it looked as though the turbo had never been removed and replaced or put back, my turbo apparently looked as though it came right from the factory so dealership #2 believes #1 didn’t do a damn thing to the car. They also said that the problem had nothing to do with the turbo whatsoever, and that it was actually the transmission and there was something (can’t remember the exact term) that is grinding inside, and that it was probably built this way and was a defect from the beginning. It has to do with the gearing and the way that they spin, I forgot his explanation because they called when i was in the middle of a million things at work. But they said that there was no way to fix it other than replacing the entire transmission. So I now have to wait till late next week to pick up my car as they’re replacing the entire transmission.

Thank god it is still under warranty haha
That's great news.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I received my car back today and now my problem is even worse. Here is a new link to a video I took when I brought the car home this evening and was pulling into the garage.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's more difficult for me to hear the transmission noise from the latest video. Perhaps you should retake the video from the same positions as the videos before the repair was done. That way you can document the before and after when you take it back to the Audi dealer or when you contact Audi corporate about the shoddy work done by dealer.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here's a good explanation of what's causing the sound:

What you hear is metal on metal banging in the flywheel because the damping springs have fatigued, broken and no longer soften the erratic input from the diesel engine to the transmission. While improvements to this design are available, it’s still a DMF. This condition does need to be fixed. This can damage the transmission , which would have very expensive consequences. Good luck! https://www.myturbodiesel.com/thread...artment.33230/