AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a3-s3-rs-3-13/)
-   -   37C in England and the AC can't cope! (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a3-s3-rs-3-13/37c-england-ac-cant-cope-1993990/)

Sportback 07-19-2006 06:32 AM

37C in England and the AC can't cope!

Wonder if the CC in European A3's is not as powerful as the US versions? We also have a Jeep Cherokee (Liberty) which has a much better CC and happily copes with this weather.

Jo Sal 07-19-2006 07:10 AM

Thought it was just me... Could be this gas in the AC?!?!?

37c hit today at 1pm, London. Set the AC to "LOW" or tried "16c". Watching the MPG's consuming more and more :-( Getting headaches too! Taken some Ibuprofens for a quick fix...

I've seen slow fan AC's working a lot calmer in way hotter conditions in the far east.

I just heard it has something to do with the gas they put in the AC compressor. Could be wrong. Quickfit claim they can make your AC much more cooler from changing this gas?!?!

0cean 07-19-2006 07:12 AM

Your not the only one having problems... Mine is weak and gives me a head ach.

Jo Sal 07-19-2006 07:29 AM

Just read this from www.kwik-fit.com RE: Air-Con

Their claim slogan - "Recharge or no charge at Kwik-Fit"

Gonna pop down after work...

"Like other parts of your car, your air conditioning performance deteriorates over time. Every year, a vehicle can lose an estimated 10% of the gas that is required to keep your air conditioning system working efficiently. For this reason, most car manufacturers recommend that air conditioning is recharged or serviced every 2 years. Without this regular maintenance your car engine will have to work even harder to keep you cool which means it will need to use even more fuel."

"With an air conditioning recharge at Kwik-Fit we will assess and top-up your air conditioning system so that the gas and lubricant content of the system is optimised in accordance with manufacturers' specifications. It is not a service where component parts are fixed or replaced."

"Let Kwik-Fit recharge your air-con while-you-wait for ?44.95. As part of our recharge service, we use the latest air-con diagnostic equipment to check and optimise your vehicle's air-con lubricant and refrigerant levels. In under an hour, our specially trained technicians will show you the difference in you air-con system before and after the recharge."

"And you only pay by results!"

"If your coolest air-con vent temperature doesn't improve by 10% or more - you pay nothing. Contact your nearest centre for details."

"Air-con recharge is only available in selected centres in the South East of England."

CMcLeod 07-19-2006 09:09 AM

I spent 8 hours on the road Monday in South Georgia in 100+ deg heat with COLD AC. not an issue here

April 07-19-2006 09:09 AM

It's been that hot for about a week here. Takes a while for the car to cool down if left

in the sun. It does eventually cool down nicely.

Our Dodge Dakota blows cold immediately. Simple vehicle, room for huge ducts, massive condensor.

Oh well, my old Alfa can barely manage a tepid blow;-)

An_A_car 07-19-2006 09:10 AM

not changing the gas, adding more gas to the system to replace what escaped.

April 07-19-2006 09:20 AM

Apparently the latest refridgerants have smaller molecules than the older versions - in addition

to not being quite so effective at cooling (needing a larger capacity system), this means they can escape the system more easily.

Make sure to run the a/c for 10 minutes every week or so even in Winter, as the lubricant helps keep the seals intact and keep the gas in the system.

These systems also work on the principle of a pressure drop across the system. You must have sufficient pessure drop for the system to work effectively. An ex-military guy who worked on cooling systems in Iraq was explaining to me that this is often overlooked.<ul><li><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-conditioning#Air_Conditioning_System_Basics_and_Th eories">understanding the basics</a></li></ul>

Buddah 07-19-2006 09:29 AM

heard this from several A3 owners

the AC is simply WEAK

and I agree

acie 07-19-2006 09:50 AM

Over 107F (42C) here yesterday, and it takes quite a while for my A3's air

to get the interior to a comfortable temperature. Huper Optik is looking more and more like my best solution.

For what it's worth, the air on my '96 Infiniti G20 was worse.