Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

A3 (8P) won't start after changing plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kind of. I took it in to the shop and they did a bunch of tests on it. Apparently the fuel delivery circuit in the ECU is toast. So at the moment I'm going through collecting all the necessary components to do an ECU swap.
So I've picked up VCDS, and a dummy vag-kkl cable (to get an ecu dump so I can retrieve my immo pin). This weekend I'll hook up to my old ECU, and maybe through VCDS I'll get an exact reason for what the problem was.
Either way I'm going to get a new (used) ECU.

Random question: Does the 'new' ecu have to be from a car with all the exact same options? Or does it just have to be from the same year and model (as in, same immo generation)?
Old 03-15-2019, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by skoebl
Kind of. I took it in to the shop and they did a bunch of tests on it. Apparently the fuel delivery circuit in the ECU is toast. So at the moment I'm going through collecting all the necessary components to do an ECU swap.
So I've picked up VCDS, and a dummy vag-kkl cable (to get an ecu dump so I can retrieve my immo pin). This weekend I'll hook up to my old ECU, and maybe through VCDS I'll get an exact reason for what the problem was.
Either way I'm going to get a new (used) ECU.

Random question: Does the 'new' ecu have to be from a car with all the exact same options? Or does it just have to be from the same year and model (as in, same immo generation)?

Also, just to further answer your question of what was wrong with it: The injectors weren't getting the signal to fire. I had good fuel pressure everywhere, but the grounding circuit was bad. Essentially it was causing the ECU fuse to blow constantly.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Peter D Valdiviezo
Did you ever figure out what the problem was?
I did (finally)!
Turns out it was a shorted coil the whole time.
I found this out after thinking it was a toasted ECU (according to the shop I took it to).
I was trying to get the SKC from it, and the coil just caught fire.
Bought a new one, and it magically just fired right back up! So I ordered 4 new red top OEM coils so I should be sitting pretty now.