Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

A3 Oil pressure warning during decel only

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A3 Oil pressure warning during decel only

2010 Audi A3 2.0TFSI

When engine is completely warmed up (driving at least 25 minutes) and let off the throttle (decel), the red oil pressure warning light/chimes comes on the dash. This happened the first time right after an oil change at Goodyear, so I returned and they put on a different oil filter (there were no leaks/oil level was good). No problems until my wife had oil changed at Jiffy Lube (please no commenting) then problem returned. So I went to the parts store and got a better quality oil filter (WIX) and changed it out. No different. So I ordered an oil pressure switch and replaced it. Didn't change.

We took it in to the dealer and had it diagnosed........oil pressure tested fine according to them, so they recommended an Audi oil filter and oil change. They could not duplicate the concern but when my wife drove it home it once again came on as she got off the interstate.And continued several times as she continued on her way home.

I have a mechanical background and I have a hard time believing this is an oil pump or bearing issue. It is only on decel, which would be a high vacuum condition in the engine. Could the PCV/breather assembly be the cause if it is malfunctioning? I have no indication of a vacuum leak or whistle indicating a failure.

I found one other thread from over a year ago that seemed exactly the same, but no answers to his concern. I hope someone has some input or experience with this.

Thank you in advance.
Tim
Old 03-02-2019, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After pulling down the oil pan there was metal found in the bottom of the pan.

We opted to part with the car vs. repair. Over $5k for new or used engine installed.