Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Audi A3 2008 Sport, adding break fluid

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A3 2008 Sport, adding break fluid

My friend just bought an used A3. We noticed its brake fluid level was under the min value. But when we opened the lid to add some, there was a visible layer of liquid in the yellow filter.
When we poured some brake fluid in, the filter filled up to the brim, but the liquid level (looked from the side of the container) did not move. It did not drain.

Is it possible the filter could be blocked? How does one remove the filter to clean it? It did not move up, only rotated freely in its place. Is there something we missed?

Regards, two gen X ladies

p.s. I have had Fords all my life and they do not have such a filter at the reservoir opening
Old 05-31-2019, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

A picture might help. The fluid level is difficult to tell cuz the fluid itself is pretty clear when new. I used a small flashlight/torch to shine into the container to get a better idea of where the fluid level was.

If the brake fluids haven't been flushed in more than 2 years, it's probably time to flush everything out anyway, so I'd do that.

Also, if your brake pads are worn down, the fluid level would be lower than if you had new brake pads.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by findalex
A picture might help. The fluid level is difficult to tell cuz the fluid itself is pretty clear when new. I used a small flashlight/torch to shine into the container to get a better idea of where the fluid level was.

If the brake fluids haven't been flushed in more than 2 years, it's probably time to flush everything out anyway, so I'd do that.

Also, if your brake pads are worn down, the fluid level would be lower than if you had new brake pads.
That did not really answer the question. We can see the level of the fluid, it is just at MIN. Still when you open the lid you can visually see liquid in there. So there is liquid up and liquid down, but no liquid in the middle.
Hence the filter (it is a little yellow 'basket') must be clogged. How is that removed for cleaning?