Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

current pricing on A3 - what are people paying? (eom)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

current pricing on A3 - what are people paying? (eom)
Old 10-04-2005, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check edmunds? Realistic reflection of actual deals in your area.

Some person who knows the dealer's uncle's best friend's dog, and who is willing to take the car with polka dots, who claims they bought the car for invoice, is hardly a benchmark unless that scenario applies to you as well ;-P

Pricing is extremely regional dependent, and changes with seasons, inventory, and what specific colours and options are most in demand in that location.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Check edmunds? Realistic reflection of actual deals in your area.

Thank-you captain obvious. I am looking for anecdotal pricing from people on this board. Edmunds always lags. They have to collect, compile, and summarize the data.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default People on the internet often neglect to give you certain details, in an attempt to make it

look like they got a better deal than they really did. There are several dealer people on this forum and we can all tell you about selling a car for one price, only to have the customer claim an entirely different price on the internet. So don't take any of our claims on the forum as gospel.

Date, location, and options. Without that data, pricing data is useless. Dealers see a lot of out of context offers from customers - people gleaning the lowest price they can find, giving no thought to whether it can be verified. Giant PITA for both parties, because it's so unrealistic.

I bought the first day the A3 was available (actually the day before). My car had to be trucked from SoCal to NorCal (cost approx $400). I paid MSRP, but in that, was the trucking charge, so it was like getting $400 off. Lava grey, premium and sound packages.

Going into Winter, the factory is reducing allocation. That means less inventory, which could mean higher pricing. Best time to buy is Feb or early March.

I may be Captain Obvious, but you can't argue with my trying to keep you from looking like a ****** ;-)
Old 10-04-2005, 08:59 AM

Default Ordered 8/15 in Phx, paid MSRP

Dealer offered free tint on open sky, I got them to ceramic tint the whole car.

Car is on the boat. Waiting sucks.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:05 AM

Default $1,000 under sticker for my girlfriends

In Westchester, New York
Old 10-04-2005, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Edmunds says msrp - other people paid less

So all I was looking for was a sampling of prices people paid. I tend to believe you can do better than msrp on an A3. It's not exactly a 'must have' vehicle. Nov/Dec is a fine time of the year to negotiate.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Edmunds says msrp - other people paid less

Good luck negotiating. If you look at the invoice vs. msrp you'll see there is hardly a markup. If you're in SoCal maybe. Anywhere else you could pay msrp and not feel bad. Also note the attitudes of the dealer/sales people as they gently try and nudge you to the a4 since there are actual margins on those vehicles.

Good luck.

PS - I got mine under msrp and right around my sweet spot for purchasing a new vehicle - 3% over invoice.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default $1500 under sticker for your boyfriends? ;-)

this is only funny of course if you're a guy :-P
Old 10-04-2005, 12:58 PM

Default costco price in norcal is $750 over invoice...

Shouldn't take too much to get on the phone and find a dealer that will honor the costco price. I found one in 3 calls.

I haven't whipped out my checkbook so at this point its all talk but I have no reason to think the dealer wouldn't accept that price. I reviewed the inv at their office and it was in line with what was being posted on the internet as to inv pricing.

Quick Reply: current pricing on A3 - what are people paying? (eom)