Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Dealer Inventory Swap...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Inventory Swap...

Audi Sales Guru's. April???

As, I mentioned in a previous post, I have given my dealer a deposit on a car that they do not have in their inventory. It is my understanding that they are going to "swap" a comparable car for the one that fits my specs. They tell me this car is relatively close in proximity. We have not agreed to a price. How does this work exactly?
Will the other dealer charge a fee for this service? Or do the dealers have a "gentlemen's agreement" amongst themselves in regard to inventory sharing?
I understand that there will be some sort of transportation costs. I assume this will be taken out of the dealer markup and will most likely take away from my negotiation power.

Any Thoughts?
Old 06-23-2005, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Always negotiate the final sale price prior to the actual swap taking place.

There is a very minor fee for the paperwork transfer (think approx $35). When I sold cars, I didn't charge for dealer trades that I could drive to and from myself (within 4 hour radius). Of course I made sure to do my own trades so as to make sure the car was treated with care during the drive. If we had to truck the car, we either built that into the price of the car, or charged a seperate line item - depending how the customer wished it to be stated.

But the first most important thing is to get the price in writing now - before all your bargaining power vanishes. To avoid mis-understanding between you and the dealer (because I'm sure the dealer is assuming you're paying MSRP at this point since you haven't negotiated), get this all out of the way first. That way you can focus on the joys of taking possension of your new baby :-)
Old 06-23-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Always negotiate the final sale price prior to the actual swap taking place.

April. Thnx for your advice. I called him an arrived at what I perceive to be a good deal. I think it helps that this is the 2nd Audi I've bought from the same Salesman.

This is a great forum. I used to frequent it when I had my A4. Glad to be back.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Dealer Inventory Swap...

Also be sure to get the specifics in writing before giving a deposit. Date car is due by, for example, can be very important. If it just says "a red A3 with premium pkg and xm radio" then they could conceiveably just wait till one came along that was cheaper to get there.

I currently am waiting on one to be shipped in and though the price is set, they gave me a due date I knew was unrealistic with the distances involved. Probably just to "freeze" my business so I wouldn't find one elsewhere. Of course, that day has come and gone. And, having failed to stipulate WHEN the car was due, they have my deposit and could possibly try to keep it if I said "enough waiting" and went elsewhere.

Whatever you do, dont' give them money before you have a set driveout price on the vehicle!
Old 06-25-2005, 07:10 AM

Default Um, please explain. IS THAT A SPIDER IN YOUR DRIVEWAY!!?

How is that possible? Are there (nuovo) GTVs here too?

TIA!
Old 06-25-2005, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Not my driveway, but yes, it's a new Spider. Brought over by a buddy

with lots of patience and money. Get to drive it now and then, and it's a peach! Haven't heard of a GTV making it here yet, but wouldn't be suprised if somebody has one.

There is a blue Twinspark floating around here too.<ul><li><a href="http://homepage.mac.com/verdegrrl/spider-1.html">my review of the car</a></li></ul>
Old 06-25-2005, 10:16 AM

Default Can you give me any more details (please!)

on how he got it imported? In the past this was basically impossible, and I gave up on Alfa... but I wouldn't mind looking into it one more time...

Great review by the way. My pal in Brussels has a GTV, but we weren't there long enough for me to drive it. He also has a restored Citroen (DS?) so we drove around in that.

TIA!
Old 06-25-2005, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I love Citroens!!!!!! I gave up on Alfa as well. My understanding

is that this fellow has an excellent command of Italian (easier to import from Italy, rather than Germany,etc), and it took him 2 or 3 years of red tape and at least $10K + the car, to bring it here. Of course if he needs anything beyond the basic powertrain stuff (shared mostly with 164, but not completely), he has to order from overseas. So it's a weekend car only.