Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Just Bought an A3 Sportback 2.0T FWD Manuel and I need help with mods!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Bought an A3 Sportback 2.0T FWD Manuel and I need help with mods!

Basically, it seems like I can't find any information regarding to bolt on mods performance and cosmitic I was wondering if you guys have any sites or builds I can look to for refrence and support. I am already looking into flashes but it seems to find better brake setups, monitor choices etc.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Resources for mods

The A3 has the exact same drive train as the VW Golf GTI, just eith a different engine Cover. So any article or video about the GTI will also pertain to the same generation A3. A few good sites to check out for mods would be:
  • ECS Tuning
  • USP Motorsports
  • Black Forest Industries
  • AWE Tuning
  • APR
ECS has a wide variety of Audi/VW performance and visual upgrades from several different aftermarket manufactures as well as their own designs. They are US based (NC or SC I believe) and also supply OEM replacement parts for the drivetrain, interior, and exterior.
USP is similar but will usually have brands and parts ECS doesn’t carry.

Black Forest Industries is well known for their quality engine and transmission mount upgrades as well as their custom shift *****.

AWE is best known for their custom exhaust systems. These are hand built upon order in their PA based shop. These systems sound great (I have one) and are praised for their high build quality, attention to detail, and weight savings. They offer other third party upgrades such as software, suspension, and brakes.

APR is a well known VW/Audi tuner based in Alabama. They offer a wide range of software and hardware. While their products command a hefty price premium, they are usually of higher quality than competitors and are better at retaining vehicle longevity and reliability as they do extensive R&D on their products. Most of what they sell is of OEM quality or better. Just keep in mind that you’re paying a premium for it. They do have an upgrade tier system though that promotes buying progressive upgrades from them instead of another company. While none of their products lock you in to buying other upgrades exclusively from them and will work with other brands, it seems to work best and produce the most power by sticking with their ecosystem.

For finding out more information about upgrades and other aspects of the car such as trouble shooting and maintenance, I’ve found these guys on YouTube to be very useful:
  • humble mechanic (has a big beard)
  • Deutsche Autoparts (has a lot of product reviews and install videos as well as tuning recommendations)

There are also a few other channels on YouTube that provide good information on modding and maintenance. Just remember if they’re talking about a GTI the same generation as yours, it’ll also apply to your car.

I would suggest working your way up slowly and start out with either APR’s stage 1 tune or AWE’s catback exhaust. The stage 1 tune provides significant power gains over stock without overwhelming factory components such as the cooling system. You might want to look into Black Forest Industries’ dog bone (torque arm) insert. It will help prevent wheel hop and firm up the shifter as the added torque will cause the engine and trans to move a lot more. The insert is only $30 and is a farily easy DIY install if you have ramps or jack stands.

If you decide to go beyond stage 1, I would strongly suggest upgrading the intercooler especially if it gets hot where you live and you plan on taking it to the track. Not only will the additional heat cause you to lose power, it also isn’t good for engine longevity. I would also look at upgrading the clutch especially since you have a manual. Higher level tunes can sometimes cause the factory clutch to slip.

If you are considering tracking your car, I would suggest upgrading the rotors and pads and switching to a brake fluid with a higher boiling point. There’s no need to spend the big bucks on “big brake kits” as they are over $2000! Just get slotted rotors and track pads the same size as the factory ones. Stop tech has good rotors, pads and fluid. Hawk pads can be used too.

Most importantly though is take care of the car. It should be done even when it’s stock but it’s especially true when you upgrade it. Be mindful and respectful of your car’s safe operating temperatures. Wait until the car has fully come up to temperature before puting your foot into it and go easy on it if it’s super hot outside or the oil temps start to rise. Speaking of oil, keep an eye on its level and quality regularly and don’t be afraid to change it earlieir than the service interval says.

Old 03-08-2019, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Like thank you this euro world is a whole new thing for a JDM guy. AGAIN THANK YOU!