Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

S3 Quattro - Wheelspin

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2000, 06:42 AM
AL B

Default I might just...

take you up on that offer.

Turkey is always a country I consider for my summer holiday destination. The reason I didn't go last summer was probably because of all the Earth quake trouble. But, may be this year.

Thanks,

Alan.
'99.5 A3 1.8T MS Silver
Old 01-21-2000, 06:53 AM
ravenx

Just drop me a line if you decide to come...
Old 01-21-2000, 08:45 AM
Rod Jackson

Default Re: How old is your car?

My S3 is 6 months old with 9000 miles covered.

Audi have arranged collection later this evening (they are loaning me an A6).

My car will be having a new gearbox and various others bit done next week.

Even after all this trouble, it is still one of the finest cars on the road
Old 01-21-2000, 01:51 PM
andy ward

Default Re: S3 Quattro - Wheelspin

Sorry to hear about your problems, but thank god for 3 year warranty. Make a lot of noise and see what they are willing to offer.

For 28K everything should be perfect!

I don't think the German's build lemon's but they do seem to have 'Friday' car moments.

I have a couple of 'problems' with mine at the moment.
A 'parp' emits from the exhaust frequently when accelerating or when I have reached my speed.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Incidentally who is your Audi dealer?

Take it easy.....
Old 01-21-2000, 02:31 PM
Jonathan

Default Re: S3 Quattro - Wheelspin

Ive not noticed any real wheelspin on mine even with 250bhp. Something must be wrong.

Still as some have said Audi are struggling a bit. At least they now admit to Bose/Xenon Hi Fi problems. Mine will be on its 3rd Headunit tomorrow.

Have to say after all the write ups on the gearbox my S3 has a great box. Must be the luck of the draw, which it shouldnt on such an expensive car.
I know why my Scooby is Number 1 in the JD power and the Audi so far behind.

Jonathan
Old 01-21-2000, 02:52 PM
ravenx

Default what Bose/Xenon Hi Fi problems?

I can hear engine revs thru the speakers in CD Changer mode, but there are not other problems, yet.

Any other problems?

ravenx
'00 Black S3
Old 01-21-2000, 03:48 PM
AL N

Default Scooby, S3 - what else?

I must be in the wrong business!! Working for the second largest computer company in the world.

I wish I had both cars as you guys do! One for early Sunday morning on a quiet B-road, and the other for just a bit later on.

To quote from "Life of Brian"..."You lucky, lucky, bastard(s)"!

Alan.
'99.5 A3 1.8T MS Silver
Old 01-21-2000, 03:52 PM
AL B

Sorry typo, that should have been "AL B" - my mistake I've been to the pub!!! Cheers!!
Old 01-21-2000, 04:22 PM
AL B

Default A3 1.8T Wheelspin & FWD & EDL =Crap

I know you guys are mainly talking about S3 4wd wheelspin, which is surprising to me, to say the least. I thought, with the S3, it was medium revs, slip the clutch, let it out and just plant your right foot to the floor!!! And say goodbye to most things behind!

But the bog standard FWD 150bhp 1.8T A3 is also "good" for wheelspin and hopeless for traction. The basic "traction control" system EDL "Electronic Differental Lock" is the worst form of "performance" technology I've ever come across!! (Apart from nothing at all, like on he old Vauxhall Astra Sport 2.0 16v I used to have).

In the UK at the moment, road conditions are very damp, and the front wheels spin very easily. But the EDL is practically useless, when you would think it would be in its perfect conditions. You tend to hear the ABS(EDL) kick-in to try and control the spin, but it's crap. You end up doing it yourself - i.e. trying to keep the power constant, and balancing/adjusting (sliping) the clutch to control the spin. Quite good if you like doing controlled 10 metre wheelspins, but not good if you want to get of to a quick start in the wet.

I can now relate to one of the early posts on this A3/S3 forum by Marko Litmanen and his Wett A3 1.8T 1.0Bar, 195bhp.

Marko - it must be really difficult to get traction at this time of year!!

If any other A3 drivers experience the same traction problems, lets discuss it! Maybe there is a solution.

Regards,

Alan.
'99.5 A3 1.8T MS Silver
Old 01-24-2000, 07:39 AM
David R

Absolutely - much juddering =

Quick Reply: S3 Quattro - Wheelspin