Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Should a 2015 Ford Fusion offer more than a 2015 Audi A3 for $9k less?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should a 2015 Ford Fusion offer more than a 2015 Audi A3 for $9k less?

I really like the 2015 Audi A3 but can't ignore the lack of features as compared to a 2015 Ford Fusion, which stickers for $9,000 less!

I currently lease a Ford Fusion which I really like but this time around I wanted to purchase so I wanted to consider all my options.

I looked at Lincoln, Cadillac, GM, Chevy, Dodge, BMW and Audi. I really like the A3 out of everything I drove; however, I was surprised at a few things.

The Audi A3 lacks several "common" features, especially for a "German Luxury" brand. These items are:
  • Home Link
  • Remote Start (I found out no German auto maker offers this option)
  • Cooled Seats
  • Heated Steering Wheel

All the above are available on the Ford Fusion.

I'm looking for your thoughts and opinions.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Quattro.

Cornering.

Style.

And I'm willing to be wrong, but 0-60.

And they look totally different. Just a bit.

Last edited by SamLV; 09-06-2014 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Depends. If you are looking for the 'bang-for-your-buck', then yes, the Fusion is a well equipped car for the money. There is nothing wrong with a Fusion.

However, the Audi is in another league with regards to style and driving experience.

Mike
Old 09-06-2014, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

OK... driving experience would be a key factor so I will determine that on a more though test drive in the future.

There has been talk about the hesitation or turbo lag on take off and I did experience that on my test drive. It without a doubt left a lasting impression on me because it was easy to feel.

I can do without the cooled seats, remote start and even the heated steering wheel (which my 2009 Dodge Ram Quad Cab had and I loved!) but Home Link is ridiculous and I will be sure to express my opinion at the North American International Auto Show when I visit the Audi display.

I do really like the car but I am also concerned that the closest dealer is 1 hour away. I have read where other Audi owners have had to deal with that too.

If I was leasing then the decision or commitment would not be as big but I really want to own this time.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Currently drive a 2011 Ford Fusion purchased new. A trouble free, reliable, attractive car and yes, a very good bang for the buck. Now having said that, I've got an order in for a 2015 Audi A4, my first, with the Fusion on trade. I've always been a fan of German quality and engineering. Started way back with an NSU motorcycle.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Main difference is everyone has a Ford Fusion and you see them on the road constantly. The A3 will be a rare find and special when you see it. This alone is a huge deciding factor for me when considering any new car. Such a thing helps keep the car looking fresh longer, and therefor helps me to want to keep the car longer instead of getting into debt all over again in a few years.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I drove a 2014 Titanium Fusion AWD and it was very luxurious, incredibly fast and it looks like a baby Aston Martin. Definitley more bang for the buck, initially.

Where the Audi comes in is 10 years from now. If maintained and cared for well, it will be just as solid and fresh appearing as the day you drove it home. German engineering and quality is legendary and this is what you pay for. 10 years of average use for any ford will send them to the scrap yard.

My only recommendation would be for you to yhink about how long you're going to keep the car. If only 5 years, go with the Fusion. If longer, you'll be better served by the Audi, or any German car really.

Good luck!!

Last edited by MRYFLYGUY; 09-07-2014 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks to everyone for their feedback!

I agree that there are many Fusions on the road and having a unique car is appealing.

German quality engineering is something I have heard about but never looked into. I hope this is true because I know there will be a price to pay for having an "Audi". I bet when I price a tire, oil filter or worse, a repair, there will be a surcharge!

Nonetheless, Audi is the only manufacture that has caught my attention and my purchase will be either the Fusion or A3.

If I do go with the A3, I will find a way to install the Homelink.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

There are many DIYs on how to install a Homelink rear view mirror.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MRYFLYGUY
There are many DIYs on how to install a Homelink rear view mirror.
I was thinking about the Home Link module that is listed on their web site. Just need to find a place to locate it and tap power.

www.homelink.com

Quick Reply: Should a 2015 Ford Fusion offer more than a 2015 Audi A3 for $9k less?