Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Slight Jerk, Hesitation when you first press throttle

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight Jerk, Hesitation when you first press throttle

Hi guys,

I'm hoping you can shine some light on this, it's driving me mad!

Car Details: 2007, 1.6 Petrol Audi A3 (8P). 88K miles on the clock
Full Service: November 2019. All filters and oil changed and spark plugs

I have an issue where when I put my foot on the throttle, if I'm changing gear, or if I've been slowing down and put it back on to the resume, there is a slight hesitation and jerk. The rev needle rocks slightly and the car jerks. The car runs absolutely fine once the throttle is down and there is no jerking at all. Smooth as you like. It's just that initial putting your foot on the throttle.

At first I thought it might be to do with the fuel injectors, so cheapest option was to throw a bottle on Redex in a full tank. After I used that I then used Wynns Xtreme Cleaner on another full tank. No change
I then thought it might be something to do with the throttle body or air intake pipe. I took the air intake pipe off, gave it a clean (couldn't see any holes in the pipe). There isn't a maf sensor running from my air filter/pipe to the throttle body. I then run some Throttle body and air intake stuff through it. No change

OBD Reader - I plugged my scanner in to see if there were any error codes, but nothing. At Idle the Vacuum was at 20ish, which I believe is normal? (Revs were around 750. Throttle 1.5, Coolant 51c)

Reset ECU - Unplugged battery for 10 minutes, and then plugged back in, no change

Oil Level - I thought it could be a case that the garage had put in too much oil, but the level is OK

Vacuum Leak - I can't hear any hissing or air escaping anywhere. I've tried spraying a bit of water on some of the pipes, but couldn't hear any change in the engine to indicate a leak.

Perhaps I should try a smoke test?

Video of engine running at Idle - https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...UyR1VJYVQyUzl3

Does anyone have any ideas what else it could be?
Old 06-14-2022, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terrier23
Hi guys,

I'm hoping you can shine some light on this, it's driving me mad!

Car Details: 2007, 1.6 Petrol Audi A3 (8P). 88K miles on the clock
Full Service: November 2019. All filters and oil changed and spark plugs

I have an issue where when I put my foot on the throttle, if I'm changing gear, or if I've been slowing down and put it back on to the resume, there is a slight hesitation and jerk. The rev needle rocks slightly and the car jerks. The car runs absolutely fine once the throttle is down and there is no jerking at all. Smooth as you like. It's just that initial putting your foot on the throttle.

At first I thought it might be to do with the fuel injectors, so cheapest option was to throw a bottle on Redex in a full tank. After I used that I then used Wynns Xtreme Cleaner on another full tank. No change
I then thought it might be something to do with the throttle body or air intake pipe. I took the air intake pipe off, gave it a clean (couldn't see any holes in the pipe). There isn't a maf sensor running from my air filter/pipe to the throttle body. I then run some Throttle body and air intake stuff through it. No change

OBD Reader - I plugged my scanner in to see if there were any error codes, but nothing. At Idle the Vacuum was at 20ish, which I believe is normal? (Revs were around 750. Throttle 1.5, Coolant 51c)

Reset ECU - Unplugged battery for 10 minutes, and then plugged back in, no change

Oil Level - I thought it could be a case that the garage had put in too much oil, but the level is OK

Vacuum Leak - I can't hear any hissing or air escaping anywhere. I've tried spraying a bit of water on some of the pipes, but couldn't hear any change in the engine to indicate a leak.

Perhaps I should try a smoke test?

Video of engine running at Idle - https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...UyR1VJYVQyUzl3

Does anyone have any ideas what else it could be?
Hi, did you manage to find a fix to this problem?