Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 08-05-2016, 10:51 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

$170 Reverse/Backup camera kit and install

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 12:37 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default $170 Reverse/Backup camera kit and install

Hi all,

Most A3s don't come with a backup camera - tragic. I've been looking for an affordable solution for this ever since driving off the lot, and I've found it! Reading on another Audi forum, someone mentioned this eBay item from All-lights: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181514423211?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
After looking as various kits going from $800-1200, I was willing to give this oriental contender a chance. Shipping took two weeks, but it arrived yesterday, and after buying some radio removal tools Here on Amazon (totally necessary btw), I set about with the install. The end result is a nearly perfect rearview camera solution that aside from the Chinese characters on the display, completely mimics the stock version. Working 100% with very accurate moving guidelines as well!

Here's the process if anyone should wish to do this themselves:

Important: I forgot a couple of things, first, there are plastic snap fittings on the right and left front edge of the glovebox. Pry the fat edge and they come out easily.

I also totally forgot two of the bolts, they are directly to the rear of the glovebox. One is visible above my hand in the above photo, and the other resides behind the MMI unit, you'll have to unscrew it after removing the MMI. On that note, I don't think it will be possible to screw it back in once everything is installed and into place due to the tight nature of stuffing all the new equipment in there, which takes up all the slack on the wiring harnesses. So I only reinstalled the one that is visible here, and the 7 bolts total are more than enough to keep the glovebox secured. No squeaks.

Last edited by aj6; 09-30-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Unbelievable. Great job. I bet you can't believe yourself for $159, it even has the curved lines.

Do you have front and rear distance sensors? If that upgrade was as cheap, it would be amazing.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:17 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Unbelievable. Great job. I bet you can't believe yourself for $159, it even has the curved lines.

Do you have front and rear distance sensors? If that upgrade was as cheap, it would be amazing.
The module has everything to run the sensors and display, I just don't have the sensors themselves. I bet those could be a cheap find though, esp for a silver car. I doubt I would find them as useful relative to the install effort though.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by aj6
The module has everything to run the sensors and display, I just don't have the sensors themselves. I bet those could be a cheap find though, esp for a silver car. I doubt I would find them as useful relative to the install effort though.
I hear you... I find the front sensors very useful. I am not a good judge of distance and it avoids some bumper damage. The rear is less useful since you have the camera, but the sensors give you a clear indication of distance away.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:51 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I hear you... I find the front sensors very useful. I am not a good judge of distance and it avoids some bumper damage. The rear is less useful since you have the camera, but the sensors give you a clear indication of distance away.
Actually that's a reason good reason to have them. I probably don't pull far enough in to tight spaces because I'm not used to how small the front is yet. I'll keep an eye peeled and if I get some I'll be sure to post it.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi thanks for a great find.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

@ aj6

As mentioned by all thanks for the great find!
I was wondering: the seller mentions to check the camera/handle size; yours was obviously a match since you installed it...

My S3 is still a couple of weeks away from delivery but I am tempted to order this kit in advance. Would you (or anyone) know if the rear trunk lid handle would be a fit to the S3? (I would assume that the trunk handle is the same size on the A3 and S3?)

My S3 is the base model (USA: premium plus / Canada Progressiv, without Navi, without any packages, without rear cam...) hence this would be a good addition.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:08 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ValBoo
@ aj6
Would you (or anyone) know if the rear trunk lid handle would be a fit to the S3?
Here's a couple of pictures of the two handles with a ruler, they both come to 4.75 inches length and are identical for all practical purposes besides the camera.

I have no real evidence for this, but based on checking out other models I believe Audi uses the same size for all their vehicles, and certainly within the 3 family I would expect it to be a common design.

My only concern is the non-nav nature of your S3. The useable screen on that trim is slightly smaller, which might or might not be a problem. I would inquire from the seller for sure.

Pics:

AJ
Old 10-01-2014, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fantastic, thanks for the detailed write-up. Very tempting, but I may wait and see if one shows up without the Japanese text.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aj6
.....My only concern is the non-nav nature of your S3. The useable screen on that trim is slightly smaller, which might or might not be a problem. I would inquire from the seller for sure.....

AJ
Thank you again, your input was much appreciated.

Quick Reply: $170 Reverse/Backup camera kit and install