Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

17 S3 - Vibration on left turn

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17 S3 - Vibration on left turn

Was doing some canyon driving the other day and I noticed a pretty loud vibration every time I took a left-hand corner under acceleration. The vibration doesn't occur if I take the corner with my foot off the gas. Only happens on higher-speed corners (35mph+) and particularly uphill.

Any ideas what this could be? I'm hoping it's as simple as loose lug bolts, wheel bearing or CV joint issue, rather than a problem with the front diff or tranny.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since it's a 2017, can't imagine differential or transmission issues. I was thinking loose lugs. Do you have wheel spacers on your car? Have you recently removed any of the wheels? Was also thinking about how some cars work torque vectoring. Some cars apply a bit of brake to the wheel which may have less traction than the other wheels under certain conditions. Not sure if that applies to S3s however. Not experienced this with '15 S3 that I can remember. I currently still have winter wheels and tires on the car and don't really push it much until the summer set goes back on the car. Please let us know what you might find.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Other question is whether this is happening in "normal" daily driving, not just canyon carving.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

No wheel spacers. The front right wheel has been removed a few times, I imagine, since the car was at the dealer for tie-rod replacement after an incident under their watch (long story).

After I got it back from them, there was vibration at low speed turns like in parking lots, both directions. They fixed that issue and everything seemed fine until my daily commute took me through a canyon and I noticed this new vibration (I wasn't even carving, just took a corner at 35 uphill and added power).

As for the torque vectoring, I don't think it can be attributed to that since I would have noticed it from day 1 of having the car.

Dealer tech called me and was puzzled, but said he will get the advice of the service GM. So let's see.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hope you get it resolved. Certainly sounds suspicious that vibration issues began under their watch though.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they have been working on the steering previous (tie rod replacement), would imagine it is connected somehow to that repair. Maybe it's an alignment issue of some time. As Timmay stated, hope you get it resolved!!!
Old 03-16-2018, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It sounds suspiciously like a combo of the front diff to the hub being misaligned - you can test it at slow speed too, in a lot make a small circle turn (but not all the way to lock) and see if there is a little 'chug'. If you go all the way to lock on the steering, you will def feel it (a quattro/ AWD 'feature'), so don't turn super tight.

Did they do a 4 wheel alignment after the suspension work?
Old 04-16-2018, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

UPDATE: Problem was traced to the transmission mount which was basically cracked in half on the inside.

Dealer exhausted all options (wheel bearings, axels, even put on a brand new set of wheels from a new S3 on the lot) before discover the tranny mount.

Vibration gone. Good as new.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by akraev
UPDATE: Problem was traced to the transmission mount which was basically cracked in half on the inside.

Dealer exhausted all options (wheel bearings, axels, even put on a brand new set of wheels from a new S3 on the lot) before discover the tranny mount.

Vibration gone. Good as new.
Glad to hear problem was resolved. However, I'm a bit concerned about how that transmission mount cracked in half.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Timmay
Glad to hear problem was resolved. However, I'm a bit concerned about how that transmission mount cracked in half.
They tied it back to the accident that the car was in back in December (left car at dealer to investigate a concern I had, and the tech got hit by some lady at a stop sign while on a test drive.)

It was mainly cosmetic stuff and a tie rod replacement. But it looks like the tranny mount most likely cracked and probably got worn down after a few weeks of driving.

BTW @Timmay, sent you a PM

Quick Reply: 17 S3 - Vibration on left turn