Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2015 S3 - Cabin noise on bumps

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 10:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 S3 - Cabin noise on bumps

Let me just preface this by saying I really love this car, and other than the software update that it required to solve the EPC issue, I haven't had any issues with it in the first 3,000 miles I've owned it since July. Except one, that I can't help but notice...

Cabin noise on bumps. I don't know if I hit something harder than I should have or if those are endemic to this year and model, but I get noise on bumps (medium to big ones, such as sharp changes on incline entering a driveway, or medium to large bumps on the road) from two different places. One I believe is coming from the steering column or the dashboard right behind the steering wheel, and the other one sounds as if it's coming from the panel near the moonroof/cabin light switch. It's not to the point where it drives me crazy, but I'm pretty OCD about cabin noise. I might have unrealistic expectations, so I wanted to see what is your experience, and if there's anything I can do to make my drives more peaceful.

The panel around the moonroof switch creaks whenever I press my fingers into it through the fabric, which I can't decide if it's expected or disappointing. The creaking occurs on its own on sharp bumps as well, which is the annoying part. As for the steering column, the noise coming from it or the dashboard is far more frequent and can be heard on most medium sized bumps.

What about you? Is your experience similar to mine noise-wise, and do you just turn up the music volume? Is this uncommon for a car that's so new and it was probably some big hole that I didn't avoid? Is there anything I can ask the dealer to do on my first scheduled service, or should I just learn to live with it and just enjoy the car?
Old 09-29-2015, 10:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My CPO '15 A3 had a really strange squeaky noise that seemed to mostly happen in the morning on the way to my drive, coming from the passenger seat area. It was driving me nuts but my girlfriend said I was being hyper-sensitive. Well, considering it was brand new (to me), I took it in for service. The tech took it on a test drive, heard the noise, found an issue, took it on another test drive, realized there was another problem, etc. So after 3 test drives and taking apart 2 different areas of the car, he or she found 2 loose bolts.

So, maybe you're being sensitive, but maybe there is a problem that could be fixed. This is what is great about the warranty--just take it in.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I started getting a constant rattle from what I could only figure was somewhere in the moonroof area. The slightest uneven pavement or even roads that look completely even would trigger this rattle that just wouldn't go away. It wasn't on bumps, it was everywhere. That along with the other two noises I mentioned in the original post pushed me over the edge and I took it in this morning. Thankfully the mechanic heard all of the noises I was hearing without me even pointing them out during the drive (hooray, I'm not crazy!) and took the car in. At least I'm not going to get the "we couldn't hear anything, sorry" treatment.

Car was in with them at 7.20am, and around 3.15pm they called me to tell me they had more work to do and that they would contact me again tomorrow.

Once again, very happy with them (Audi Marin, San Rafael, CA). The loaner 2015 A3 should hold me over for a few days. Here's hoping they manage to fix all the noises.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had a rattle coming from my car. Turned out to be from the high mount brake light cover. To me it sounded like it was coming from the moon roof as well. Have them check that.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine has a very annoying squeaky noise coming from the back. I found out that it was from the styrofoam laid out for the spare tire compartment was rubbing against the compartment cover. I have been just turning up my volume for now. I might go grab some spray on insulating and see if it helps.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sdjaime
My CPO '15 A3 had a really strange squeaky noise that seemed to mostly happen in the morning on the way to my drive, coming from the passenger seat area. It was driving me nuts but my girlfriend said I was being hyper-sensitive. Well, considering it was brand new (to me), I took it in for service. The tech took it on a test drive, heard the noise, found an issue, took it on another test drive, realized there was another problem, etc. So after 3 test drives and taking apart 2 different areas of the car, he or she found 2 loose bolts.

So, maybe you're being sensitive, but maybe there is a problem that could be fixed. This is what is great about the warranty--just take it in.
I seem to have the exact symptoms. Where did they find the problem(s)?
Old 10-15-2015, 09:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gsaltan
I seem to have the exact symptoms. Where did they find the problem(s)?
I'll try to track down the paperwork after work, but I think one was in the passenger side seat motor box (or whatever its called).

If memory serves there were two locations where they found loose bolts...
Old 10-15-2015, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a rattle and thought it was from the door, ended up being the passenger head rest. Drove me crazy!

I'd take your car to the dealer and have them fix it, you should hear nothing but stereo, road noise, engine and some muted turbo noise.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mroberte
I had a rattle and thought it was from the door, ended up being the passenger head rest. Drove me crazy!

I'd take your car to the dealer and have them fix it, you should hear nothing but stereo, road noise, engine and some muted turbo noise.
And you may also hear the faint rattle of the grocery hook hardware you may or may not have inadvertently let your car swallow... forever rattling as if to say "You knew this was a possibility before you went to install the hooks, and you still screwed it up..."