Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2015 S3 oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 03:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 S3 oil consumption

Hi everyone - new member here. I bought a 2015 CPO S3 one month ago with 28.5k miles on it. Love the car, but have had couple issues with it since I've gotten it. Right front wheel bearing, toast, upon delivery. Replaced under warranty (after giving me 2 brand new rear wheels as they were slightly bent that they thought was causing the highway noise).

I searched regarding oil consumption for '15 S3, but did not find anything. Bearing was replaced this morning. 15 minutes into my ride back to work, the low oil level warning message came on - scared the bejeebus out of me. 2 weeks ago when in for service to replace the wheels, I had them add oil as level was 1/2 down on dipstick. After warning light came on this morning, I went to different Audi stealership, where they had to add a full quart to bring up to nearly top of dipstick reading area. In the month I've owned it, I've put 2k miles on it. So seems like I've gone through approx 1.5 qts oil. This obviously does not seem right to me. Anyone else have similar experience, or offer some thoughts? I traded in a '17 VW GTI (APR stage 1 tune) for this, hoping I don't regret it. Thank God I have CPO and have not been too tempted to tune this one - still bone stock.

Thanks!
Eric
Old 07-17-2018, 03:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Forgot the pic!

Here she is
Old 07-17-2018, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have a '15 bone stock too and I haven't heard anything like your oil consumption issues. I've got 40k on mine and no problems whatsoever at any of my changes. What did the dealer say when they filled it up for you? Hope they didn't say it was normal. I mean, i fully believed VW when they told me it was normal for my wife's old passat to go through a lot of oil but I hope that it's not normal for our car. I'm really aggressive with the gas pedal too.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My '15 S3 took approx. a 1/2 litre of oil at maybe 6-7,000 miles. my '18 RS3 is tracking about the same. both have seen WoT more than once.

Good luck getting it resolved!
Old 07-17-2018, 06:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

They said it does use oil, but this obviously is not right. Gonna check the level each week against mileage and see how much is being used up.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My oil saga continues. Since my original post a couple weeks back where dealer added 1 qt of oil, I've logged 300 more miles, and already it's down to 1/2 on the dipstick. Called dealer back, they said to wait until the actual warning message comes back on, since the dipstick may not be accurate. When that happens, they said to add another quart, then bring the car in and they will drain and WEIGH the oil to know how much is actually there. Then repeat the process. Am I nuts here? What the hell is the dipstick for if you can't trust it to be "accurate"? Anyone else heard of this? I see no oil leaks on the driveway, or anything in the engine bay from a quick glance. I do tend to drive more spirited at times, but this is insane to be worried about having to check my oil level every 2 weeks.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought my 15' a few months back - couple days after I got it the oil light came on.... turns out sloppy oil change by the dealer, but it does seem to use some oil. Some consumption is normal, and these direct injection turbos seem to burn more than most but I'd still say yours has some kind of problem. Probably just clogged PCV valve or something.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audi engines do use more oil than most, especially the 2.0T but your consumption is excessive. The dealer is proposing the stage 1 test that is done to see if the engine needs new pistons and rings. The A3 and S3 normally don’t require this like the A4 which have had thousands done.
my wife’s A3 needs 1 qt every 10000 miles. My Regal GS 270 hp 2.0T has never used a drop of oil in 50000 miles.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. Still keeping an eye on things. I did a casual check of the pcv valve, nothing appears to out of sorts there (no whistling at least). Is there a way to test it short of taking it off and visually inspecting the plunger and diaphragm?
Old 08-06-2018, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Good read:
2.0T Oil Consumption - Karmakanix VW, Audi & Porsche

Quick Reply: 2015 S3 oil consumption