Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2016 A3 is the car to avoid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 03:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 A3 is the car to avoid?

According to latest Consumer Reports this is the model to avoid. Just curious what is your experience so far?

I have 2016 A3 Cabriolet Quattro I bought new last April. Here are my issues so far in the order I got:

1)driverside door not flushed (fixed by dealer)
2)safety system (roll over bar deployment canister issue fixed by dealer within month of delivery )
3)low oil at 12k miles
4)low coolant at 12k miles (2 days after oil issue)
5) Cornering lights stopped working (turned out the feature was disabled in MMi during recall fix to parking light)
so far isues 3 and 4 are pending as dealer can't find them. Hopefully your experience is better than mine.

****updated 3/31/2017**** Yesterday on way home from work my vehicle went into limp mode and it had to be towed to dealer. mileage on car is 17k.***
*****update 2: dealer just called and told me I am going to need a *NEW* engine*****

Last edited by ionian2k; 03-31-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a left over 2015 A3 Cab at the end of April last year. Only issues so far have been a right sun visor with a bad switch that wouldn't turn on the light and the recall for something in the fuel system. I just started getting a grinding sound in my armrest when it is lifted that I will get addressed at the next scheduled service as it still works. No oil issues or coolant issues.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, I have heard that oil consumption is normal on these cars. I just haven't experienced it yet.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ionian2k
According to latest Consumer Reports this is the model to avoid. Just curious what is your experience so far?

I have 2016 A3 Cabriolet Quattro I bought new last April. Here are my issues so far in the order I got:

1)driverside door not flushed (fixed by dealer)
2)safety system (roll over bar deployment canister issue fixed by dealer within month of delivery )
3)low oil at 12k miles
4)low coolant at 12k miles (2 days after oil issue)
5) Cornering lights stopped working (turned out the feature was disabled in MMi during recall fix to parking light)

so far isues 3 and 4 are pending as dealer can't find them. Hopefully your experience is better than mine.
I have a 16 premium plus and have had no issues at all with it (knock on wood). I also have a lot of aftermarket performance parts and it runs well. The only thing I have to replace is the motor and transmision mounts due to the increased HP which I am pushing over 315hp and makes the engine shake to much.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have a 2015 A3 with 43,000 miles on it now and I have only experienced the low coolant and sunvisor light issues mentioned above. So far, nothing else has gone wrong yet.
If my old Jetta can serve as a guide for issues, it starts to turn bad after 90,000 miles. In my last year of ownership, I spent over 5k in repairs. I am someone who takes great care of a car so that's just stuff that broke.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by duncanator
I have a 2015 A3 with 43,000 miles on it now and I have only experienced the low coolant and sunvisor light issues mentioned above. So far, nothing else has gone wrong yet.
If my old Jetta can serve as a guide for issues, it starts to turn bad after 90,000 miles. In my last year of ownership, I spent over 5k in repairs. I am someone who takes great care of a car so that's just stuff that broke.
If you have the low coolant light come on and you have low coolant, you need to have the dealer replace the water pump and thermostat. Mine was doing the same thing and they said it had a pin hole that was causing the low fluid. I did not have any leaking, I could just smell it when I got home. They replaced both and it's been fine.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

2015 S3: I had a bad pass airbag harness that came up when almost brand new (supplier had spliced the damn thing). I had the engine misfire issue which they fixed with a reflash (TSB). It also failed the haldex pump (TSB) making it FWD for a day or so. I also had the coolant level warning pop up a couple times. Dealer could not find an issue. If it happens again, going for the water pump replacement.

Worst of all, the tread on all of my tires has now disappeared, and the dealer is claiming its all my fault.... arg.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by duncanator
In my last year of ownership, I spent over 5k in repairs. I am someone who takes great care of a car so that's just stuff that broke.
$5k?! What broke that cost this much? What year was that Jetta?
Old 03-07-2017, 03:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by easymacgyver
Worst of all, the tread on all of my tires has now disappeared, and the dealer is claiming its all my fault.... arg.
How many miles is on your car? I just had my 15k service a month ago. My tires are in decent shape.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

We have a 2015 A3 with over 22,000 miles. All it has needed are the scheduled services. No other issues.....

Quick Reply: 2016 A3 is the car to avoid?