Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2016 S3 2nd to 1st gear hiccup

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

OP, sorry for the side track.

Diztek,
Let say you buy a new car that cost you $40k and you get to enjoy it without any out of pocket expenses due to having a warranty. If the transmission or anything else that craps out withing the 4 years period, you don't have to pay a dime. After 4 years, your car is now worth, say $20k. If you want the peace of mind of a warranty, you'll have to come up with another $20k ($40k total) to buy another new car that comes with a warranty. If I decides to buy your used car for $20k without a warranty and the transmission decides to crap out, then I'll have to come up with $10k to fix it, which still leaves me another $10k for other stuffs. The point that I was trying to make is that you'll end up paying for it either way - whether buying new and paying for it up front or buying used out of warranty and paying for it as you go.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are several used cars that do not cost $10k to replace a faulty transmission. the s3 scares me to own after warranty because if the dsg transmission fails, it will cost $10k to fix. If i owned a car with a manual transmission, im guessing it wouldnt cost $10k to fix/replace a transmission. not every car cost $10k to repair/replace the transmission. the s3 has an expensive dsg transmission and i do not want to be responsible for paying to fix it if it broke down. what do you not get? lmao!!!!

all cars depreciate, that has nothing to do with cost of repairs on a particular model when you are out of warranty.

i want the peace of mind of not having a transmission that cost $10k to repair/replace. maybe i could have a car that only cost $2k to replace the transmission when its out of warranty. can you see why owning a car that costs $10k for a transmission replacement is more scarier than owning a car that would only cost $2k for a transmission replacement? im not a rich man, so $10k is a lot of money to me.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

heres an example
car 1 - bought for $40k, sold it out of warranty for $20k. new owner had to replace dsg transmission for $10k. new owner will then have $30k into it.
car 2 - bought for $40k, sold it out of warranty for $20k. new owner had to replace manual transmssion for $2k. new owner will then have $22k into it.

because i dont have an endless supply of funds:
car 1 scares me to own after warranty because if the transmission fails, $10k.
car 2 is LESS scary to own after warranty because if the transmission fails, $2k.

hence, it scares the begeezus out of me to own the s3 after warranty because if the dsg transmission fails, i dont want to fork over $10k to repair it.

im not looking for piece of mind of a warranty, im looking for piece of mind of not owning a car with a $10k dsg transmission.

Last edited by Diztek; 03-12-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL you guys are too funny. Let me chime in here. I still own a 2006 A3 sportback and I have had zero problems with the DSG transmission in this car. It is well out of warranty and still running strong. In fact, the primary reason I bought this car way back in 2005 was because of the genius of the DSG which as far as I know was the first of its kind. It marked a period of time where I began to question whether I wanted to row the gears anymore, especially when living in an area with heavy traffic (this tends to be a pain, literally on your knee). I haven't regretted this decision since. I will agree that it costs a lot more to own a German car than say a Japanese car. But then again you're paying to play so to speak, but fortunately I have never encountered any significant mechanical problems on any vehicle I've owned, including the A3.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Timmay
LOL you guys are too funny. Let me chime in here. I still own a 2006 A3 sportback and I have had zero problems with the DSG transmission in this car. It is well out of warranty and still running strong. In fact, the primary reason I bought this car way back in 2005 was because of the genius of the DSG which as far as I know was the first of its kind. It marked a period of time where I began to question whether I wanted to row the gears anymore, especially when living in an area with heavy traffic (this tends to be a pain, literally on your knee). I haven't regretted this decision since. I will agree that it costs a lot more to own a German car than say a Japanese car. But then again you're paying to play so to speak, but fortunately I have never encountered any significant mechanical problems on any vehicle I've owned, including the A3.
Unfortunately for the past 1.5 years that I've had my 2016 S3, my car has been in the dealership way more than it should be and all due to issues which all fell under warranty. I think Audi has already spent around $20,000 on my car due to various issues ..
Old 03-14-2018, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

in about 4 more years, the trasmission will be worth more than the car. haha. that sucks. here's to better days ahead.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah seriously, lol. That's why I'd be interested in hearing from the person that posted about the extended warranty in the other thread. If it's truly an additional 6 years and/or 84,000 miles on top of the factory warranty, that's a decent deal for $2,700 when considering what it would cost to replace the tranny alone.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Timmay
Yeah seriously, lol. That's why I'd be interested in hearing from the person that posted about the extended warranty in the other thread. If it's truly an additional 6 years and/or 84,000 miles on top of the factory warranty, that's a decent deal for $2,700 when considering what it would cost to replace the tranny alone.

Most definitely. if my transmission breaks after warranty, this car may end up being lost in mexico somehow. hahahaha