Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2017-2018 RS3, Launch Control, Versus, No-Launch-Control ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 11:27 AM
2019 RS3 ordered 1-5-2019

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 2017-2018 RS3, Launch Control, Versus, No-Launch-Control ???

Guys & Ladies,

Note*
There is a video a guy in Australia did showing the RS3 with a Major-Hesitation when taking off from a STOP.
That's why I'm asking the below question.
UN-Fortunately I did not see the video my buddy did in TX.
I cannot find it or I would post the actual video here.

Here is that video:
Go to position 14.00 to 14.16 to see exactly what I'm talking about and asking all of you.

Note*
There is a video a guy in Australia did showing the RS3 with a Major-Hesitation when taking off from a STOP.
That's why I'm asking the below question.
UN-Fortunately I did not see the video my buddy did in TX.
I cannot find it or I would post the actual video here.

Please post on this thread if you have (Concrete Personal 1st Hand Knowledge) or even an (Opinion) on the following below.

If any of you have ever really noticed almost ALL RS3 reviews for the 0 to 60 MPH times is with the Launch-Control.
Nothing wrong at all with that as it is to simply demonstrate to a prospective owner what to expect in performance compared to other cars.

Okay, now members this is what I want to know and I'm also willing to Plead, Beg, Ask, Request you post Facts when replying or in some cases if you personally don't know your opinions.

The real question,
Does the Audi RS3 Pause, Stutter, Hesitate, if you simply are sitting at a STOP and then Floor-the-Accelerator ???
Maybe I should also word the above question like this, the RS3 in what I think is referred to as Drive/Comfort Mode ???
Or, if the RS3 was in Sport Mode and also in Dynamic ???
I'm asking all of you owners or use to be owners what the heck does the RS3 do at a STOP if you just floor it and what MODES is it WORSE for it to Pause, Stutter, Hesitate ???

I'm hoping there are a few of you on here that will know exactly what I'm really asking and will come right out and post the FACTS.

I know some of us have or did own the VW Golf R cars and they do Pause, Stutter, Hesitate if you Floor the Accelerator from a complete STOP in Normal-Drive-Mode.
I own a new Golf R as well as a very close buddy of mine that lives in San Antonio, TX.
We both have been discussing the above and I have decided to just do a separate THREAD and hope like hell some of you will (Enlighten-Us) as what to expect when our 2019 RS3's arrive and broken in.

Thanks for the Help,
Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 04-01-2019 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Added comments by me ..........
Old 04-01-2019, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Terry I think it's going to depend a lot on ESC setting and grip levels. If you fully disable ESC by holding the button down for 7 seconds or so it will let you actually floor it from a stop. But with 400 horses and no ESC you may find you still need to finesse the throttle or you will have 4 tires slipping regardless of launch control.

This is based off my personal experience with my S3 so not apples to apples.

Dave
Old 04-01-2019, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by PaperLion
Terry I think it's going to depend a lot on ESC setting and grip levels. If you fully disable ESC by holding the button down for 7 seconds or so it will let you actually floor it from a stop. But with 400 horses and no ESC you may find you still need to finesse the throttle or you will have 4 tires slipping regardless of launch control.

This is based off my personal experience with my S3 so not apples to apples.

Dave
Hi Dave,

See above ^^^ in Post # 1 now that I found that actual video with my buddy in TEXAS a few minutes ago.
I just now posted it.

Terry
Old 04-01-2019, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Hi Dave,

See above ^^^ in Post # 1 now that I found that actual video with my buddy in TEXAS a few minutes ago.
I just now posted it.

Terry
I watched a bit before and after the times you posted. I think he doesnt turn ESC off at all. My S3 does the exact same thing when you overcook the throttle with ESC on, whether rolling or not. If the ESC algorithms calculate the input will possibly cause instability, the computer will cut the throttle % and also may apply brakes. I would have thought your R would, too.

BTW, I'm in San Antonio--if you're ever in town and you guys want to have a beer or a coffee and meet my S3, hit me up! I'd love to hear your new RS when it comes in.

Last edited by PaperLion; 04-01-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by PaperLion
I watched a bit before and after the times you posted. I think he doesnt turn ESC off at all. My S3 does the exact same thing when you overcook the throttle with ESC on, whether rolling or not. If the ESC algorithms calculate the input will possibly cause instability, the computer will cut the throttle % and also may apply brakes. I would have thought your R would, too.

BTW, I'm in San Antonio--if you're ever in town and you guys want to have a beer or a coffee and meet my S3, hit me up!
I'd love to hear your new RS when it comes in.
The Golf R will have a (Slight) hesitation but not like that guy is demonstrating in the video.
He also uses the Launch-Control and the RS3 takes off PERFECT every-time.
Since none of us have the 2019 RS3 cars yet I am hoping the guys that have the 2017 & 2018 cars will reply.
It would be nice if some of them would do some testing and see what they find out and then post their results.

I just now saw the Blue part of your post.
Will do if I visit my buddy down your way.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 04-01-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just posting to say I have read the thread now. I will say out of the blue that my RS3 will hesitate when taking off while flooring without launch control. This is normal because launch control keeps the revs at just over 3k RPM, that's why you get a near-instant launch.

The lag or hesitation is just the car spooling up the turbo, and depending on what mode you're in, will be busy deciding how hard to push based on your input and behavior. I will test this out this weekend if I can, and will video if I can.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Raidin
Just posting to say I have read the thread now. I will say out of the blue that my RS3 will hesitate when taking off while flooring without launch control. This is normal because launch control keeps the revs at just over 3k RPM, that's why you get a near-instant launch.

The lag or hesitation is just the car spooling up the turbo, and depending on what mode you're in, will be busy deciding how hard to push based on your input and behavior. I will test this out this weekend if I can, and will video if I can.
Raidin,

It will be interesting to read what you find out if you have the opportunity to give it a try.
It seems like it all comes down to where the (Traction-Control) is set and what (Driving-Mode) your in as to how great/severe the hesitation is from a standing start and Flooring the Gas-Pedal.
If the Traction Control is off there is No-Bucking and or Hesitation.
But, if your in I think it's called Comfort Mode and the Traction-Control is operating 100% then it will do what we see in that video I posted.

Terry
Old 04-14-2019, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So today was my first good weather day to run my RS3, and I ran it hard all day. I did a few launches to test out what we talked about in this thread.

I can confirm that launch control eliminates the hesitation since the car knows what you're about to do and brings up the revs for boost pressure.

I can also confirm that no matter what mode I was in, in D or S auto modes (I should have tried manual but I forgot), or wether traction control was on or off, I always had a tiny bit of hesitation. This isn't present when you're moving.

My guess is it either has to do with building boost pressure, which shouldn't really create this situation, or it has to do with the little "click" in the gas pedal that seems to change some setting internally even when launching.

When moving, going past the "click" gives you immediate response in nearly every mode (I need to test this further to make sure), so it may be that or it could be the AWD system sorting itself out once it realizes you've floored it without launch control.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Raidin
So today was my first good weather day to run my RS3, and I ran it hard all day. I did a few launches to test out what we talked about in this thread.

I can confirm that launch control eliminates the hesitation since the car knows what you're about to do and brings up the revs for boost pressure.

I can also confirm that no matter what mode I was in, in D or S auto modes (I should have tried manual but I forgot), or wether traction control was on or off, I always had a tiny bit of hesitation. This isn't present when you're moving.

My guess is it either has to do with building boost pressure, which shouldn't really create this situation, or it has to do with the little "click" in the gas pedal that seems to change some setting internally even when launching.

When moving, going past the "click" gives you immediate response in nearly every mode (I need to test this further to make sure), so it may be that or it could be the AWD system sorting itself out once it realizes you've floored it without launch control.
Raidin,

Well it seems to me from reading your above ^^^ post multiple times (Slowly) so as to not miss anything.
There is without any doubt some (Hesitation) if your at a STOP, then you simply, Floor-the-Gas-Pedal, no matter where the (Traction-Control) is set or what (Driving-Mode) selected.

That's pretty much the exact same way it is for the Golf R from a Standing Start.

What that guy was showing in his video Never-Ever have I experienced in the Golf R, period.

And from what I read you said above nor did the RS3 from a Standing-Start do what he showed.

If I have said anything at all incorrectly as to what you posted please-please correct me ???

Thanks for your time & effort pal,
Terry
Old 04-15-2019, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Raidin,

Thanks Raidin for doing your test and posting.
Good to know that the "bucking" we saw in the video did not happen, only a "hesitation."

One thing I am now wondering is what happens from a standing start if one "rolls" into the throttle rather than mashing it to the floor?
Next time I am out in my Golf R I will try that as it seems the Golf R and the RS3 have very similar results from a standing start if one is not using launch control.

Again, thanks for your sharing.

Cheers,
Tom