Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2017 A3 LED headlights vs Xenon

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Heshua1;25097217} he only thing I wish is that the beam pattern came up a little bit higher. but that’s being picky[left
[/left]
I had my dealer adjust my 2015 LED's to project higher/longer, made a big difference on low beams on the highway at night. My 2018 LED's are definitely stronger than the 2015's were, and so far seem to be adjusted better. I may still ask for an adjustment to be raised just a bit.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Heshua1
I have a 2017 A3 premium plus with the LED headlight package. I had to have it checked out, and they brought me a 2018 a3 premium with HID. I am SO glad I opted for the LES compared to the HID. In comparison the HID suck. They aren’t as bright, and the distance isn’t there. The only thing with the HID is I would get flashed allll the time. Way before people should have. With my LED, I almost never get flashed. Now I’m not a jerk driving around trying to see how close I can get to people before they get mad at me. But I did drive around the day I got it with my brights I’m assuming I had the auto dimming headlights, when in fact I don’t. Then the few times I forgot to turn them off. My theory on this is that with the HID, you have the one bulb sending out the light from the single projector. Now my car doesn’t have the matrix lighting as far as it shutting down certain beams as cars pass, or are in front of you. But it does have the matrix set up. You can even see this just by looking into the lenses during the day with the lights off. So people aren’t getting the full brightness of the light directly at them, so it doesn’t appear as bright to oncoming traffic. But the light output from the driver’s seat is phenomenal. The only thing I wish is that the beam pattern came up a little bit higher. but that’s being picky.
Bottom line, if you’re even questioning which one to get, that shows you’re one of the light guys like so many of us are. You WILL be disappointed if you don’t get the full LED. Plus it comes with the fun dynamic turn signals. Hehe
Have a 2017 A3 Premium Plus that my fiance custom ordered and told her to get the FULL LED's. They shine whiter and they're newer/better technology for lasting longer than HID's. I'm a lighting guy too and it's worth it long term. Sure, LED's will become standard in the future until laser lights become the new thing. For resale value, LED's are a better long term choice and the dynamic tail lights are quite amazing.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tjacoby
I had my dealer adjust my 2015 LED's to project higher/longer, made a big difference on low beams on the highway at night. My 2018 LED's are definitely stronger than the 2015's were, and so far seem to be adjusted better. I may still ask for an adjustment to be raised just a bit.
Yep, same here, the 2018 LED are outstanding, I aimed them a little higher too... but even before that, still better than the 2015 HIDs.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I get LED's on my 2016 Premium??
Old 02-12-2018, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As gamegenie noted, matrix headlamps are not (yet) legal in the U.S. The 2019 A8 for the U.S. market has them installed, but not activated. If they ever get approved, Audi can turn on the functionality later.

I wrote a piece about matrix headlights for The NY Times last February. Here's the link.
Old 08-29-2020, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Replace halogen headlight with LED headlight

Hi Guys, I own an Audi A3 2014 Premium Plus with halogen bulbs in the headlight. I want to know if it is possible to replace the halogen bulb with led (without changing the whole headlight compartment) I am able to get LED bulbs H7 for the dipped beam but unable to get the H15 ones for the high beam/ drl. Any leads on where to get this ?

Thanks,
Ajay
Old 04-22-2021, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi guys,

I would need your help please. This is my problem:

I have an Audi A3 etron US version. VIN Number WAUTPBFF2GA108444
This car is front damaged and I was thinking at this stage to make a facelift. Now, I found a pair of Full Led Headlights (picture 1) which my dealership has managed to make it all work except for the high beam. We are stuck on it and are not able to fix it.
In the meantime, I have found a pair of Matrix LED Headlights (picture 2) which I purchased thinking of them cooler than the ones I have only realizing afterward that the adoption is even harder.

My dilemma is:
1. First on making the right choice between the LED headlights rather than Matrix based on the work needed for the adoption.
2. Can you please assist with the process and telling me and my service car guy exactly what should we do to fix everything?

Thank you very much,