Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2017 RS3 front plate relocation

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 RS3 front plate relocation

Has anyone successfully relocated the front plate via tow hook, without tripping the parking sensors for the 17/18 models? I have tried a couple of locations, but still no luck.

I'm using the rho-plate v2, btw. It's high quality with lots of adjustability, but there appears to be no sweet spot.

Of note, this is a kit for the TTS, but according to Rho-Plate, it is the same bolt. If you have had success, maybe post a pic?
Old 09-19-2017, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crhartzler
Has anyone successfully relocated the front plate via tow hook, without tripping the parking sensors for the 17/18 models? I have tried a couple of locations, but still no luck.

I'm using the rho-plate v2, btw. It's high quality with lots of adjustability, but there appears to be no sweet spot.

Of note, this is a kit for the TTS, but according to Rho-Plate, it is the same bolt. If you have had success, maybe post a pic?
Try it like this:

https://i.imgur.com/4gehgR9.jpg

No issues here!
Old 09-19-2017, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IceAero
Try it like this:

https://i.imgur.com/4gehgR9.jpg

No issues here!
Does that interfere with your headlight washer? Seem awfully close
Old 09-19-2017, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the pic, IceAero. I will try that location again. Is it a Rho Plate brand? I'm also contemplating US Mill Works, with the detachable mount.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the pic, IceAero. I will try that location again. Is it a Rho Plate brand? I'm also contemplating US Mill Works, with the detachable mount.
Mine us by USM.

I'm 99% sure it doesn't block the washer cover, but I've been meaning to confirm. If it does, it must barely graze it and it can be adjusted to avoid it entirely. The washer cover opens at an angle that is somewhat away from the plate.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

I really want something like this, but I can't find one anything like it anywhere and the site in the video is "under construction"
Old 09-22-2017, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bipedcreature
I really want something like this, but I can't find one anything like it anywhere and the site in the video is "under construction"
That's pretty slick; hopefully you'll find out more about it fairly soon.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

The plate really does work down low, like IceAero shows it. No sensor alarms, and no collision with the headlight washer. It looks fairly good, too, and I will post pics soon. I plan to go back and really crank down on the single hex head, to make sure it doesn't vibrate loose. My test run showed no movement, but it probably will at some point. Who knows, maybe it will be fine.

Putting my back plate on, I was really disappointed with the cheap, low profile retention "nuts" straight out of Japan. They don't seat well in the plastic backing and can turn as you screw/unscrew. Very cheap, and not a lot of room for a frameless plate. In fact, I'd recommend flat washers, just to make the plate fit tightly. I had one "nut" come out completely, and another not accept a screw, so I have a diagonal pattern going on with my rear plate. Junk.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

whats the benefit of this plate? the stock front plate mount is easy enough to remove (at least on the s3 it was) and at least the stock is straight on and does not trip the sensors.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's a matter of visual preference to me, as I want less grill clutter, but some prefer the symmetry of the plate on the grill. I'd much rather not have a front plate at all, but some states require, others do not. It ruins the art of the car to me. Moving to the side may not be your preference, but I love the RS3 grill without the advertising/clutter, which is why I plan on removing the RS3 badge.

Also, the chrome rings gotta go, in favor of an alu-optic style that matches the other alu-optic trim, or the gloss black rings.

Quick Reply: 2017 RS3 front plate relocation