Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2018 A3 fully loaded :ice buildup on front end at beginning of snow.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 05:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 A3 fully loaded :ice buildup on front end at beginning of snow.

My purchased 2018 A# [loaded, cute, liked the size and seat -more comfortable than the others for me]. The car is dangerous if you are driving and it begins to snow. If on a highway the solid ice builds up immediately covering the whole front end, blocking the license plate]. This is not snow, this is a solid sheet of ice [needing overnight to defrost itself without damaging the car ]. The sensors go off, sounding in the interiour, showing on the camera, and stopping if it believes a car is in front of it [which there is not]. DANGEROUS! This happened the first week I had it last February, brought it back in shock and they said it is working ok [not frozen at that point]. Not much snow here on LI, NY, hence the second time, last month, the same thing happened in a 15 minute drive home [a short squall, not even accumulation on the street but only on grass], my salesperson at Audi told me to take pictures which I did and sent to him [and he heard the siren alert in the inside ]. He sent to service department, I wrote Audi, brought it in and again, after it deforsted overnight it is OK. They said they can do nothing about a DESIGN FAULT accumulates into ice when it hiits the rounded front end]. Very sad indeed to buy a car that CANNOT BE DRIVEN IN THE SNOW!. IS A HAZARD TO DRIVE WHEN IT BEGINS SNOWING AND YOU ARE BEHIND THE WHEEL! NO HELP FROM AUDI...!!!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2019, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You sure about that? Wouldn't say they are exactly dangerous in the snow... ice and snow does build up on the front end and in the wheel wells, but I have never had a car that didn't do that in the snow...

You do need to clear the snow from inside the wheels or you'll get wobble because they are off balance. But, that doesn't happen until after you've stopped driving and the packed in snow melts a bit overnight. Still, very good cars in the snow.

I have had the parking sensors go off inside the car because the sensors are caked with ice. This should only happen when you're in reverse, or you turn on the rear view camera with the button on the dash. If that's happening all the time, then that is a problem.

Here's some video driving around in about a foot of fresh snow a couple years ago

This is after a few hours of driving in blizzard conditions. Lots of buildup, but still very driveable. The cruise control radar does not work when caked with ice, but there's not much you can do about that since the sensor is right in front and low on the car. This should not affect drivability, and you shouldn't be using cruise control in snow anyway.

Ice does build up on front, but again, never seen a car that doesn't do this.

Last edited by nate; 03-16-2019 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Is the alleged design defect that water freezes at 32 degrees?
Old 03-16-2019, 06:55 AM
2019 RS3 ordered 1-5-2019

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Well guys up NORTH,

I'm going to stay down South with mine.

Terry
Old 03-16-2019, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

good counter point , nate. lmfao