Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2018 RS3 Exhaust very anticlimactic

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 RS3 Exhaust very anticlimactic

I test drove a new RS3 without the sports exhaust and the exhaust note was disappointing.

I've noticed similar comments in other threads - mostly by Canadian posters.

I realize that the majority of the cars ordered / allocated have the sport exhaust but some of us ended up with allocations without the sports exhaust.

Other than the black tips, does anyone have info on the actual differences between the two exhausts?

Is the sports exhaust available to be purchased through Audi after market?

Will getting the resonator delete option (if even available) fix the poor sounding exhaust.

The exhaust sounded great on startup for 2-5 seconds, while driving it in dynamic mode you couldn't hear anything in the drivers seat. much quieter than my 2015 S3 with resonator delete.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. The anticlimactic exhaust was almost enough to turn me off the car.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Standard exhaust
Old 08-04-2017, 04:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sport Exhaust
Old 08-04-2017, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vwman111
I test drove a new RS3 without the sports exhaust and the exhaust note was disappointing. I've noticed similar comments in other threads - mostly by Canadian posters.

I realize that the majority of the cars ordered / allocated have the sport exhaust but some of us ended up with allocations without the sports exhaust. Other than the black tips, does anyone have info on the actual differences between the two exhausts?

Is the sports exhaust available to be purchased through Audi after market? Will getting the resonator delete option (if even available) fix the poor sounding exhaust.

The exhaust sounded great on startup for 2-5 seconds, while driving it in dynamic mode you couldn't hear anything in the drivers seat. much quieter than my 2015 S3 with resonator delete.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. The anticlimactic exhaust was almost enough to turn me off the car.
The first RS3 I drove didn't have the Dynamic package either (w/o sports exhaust) and it is definitely disappointing IMO as well. The car is still a lot of fun to drive but the engine's 1-2-4-5-3 firing order sounds SO MUCH BETTER when the flaps on open on the exhaust! The entire video below is worth watching but you will be particularly interested in starting at about the 3:03 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnCu...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-04-2017, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forgot to add that Audi will really be missing the boat IMO IF they do *NOT* offer the sports exhaust on an after market basis! One of Audi's product managers simply stated in a streamed video that "everyone" would want the RS3 with the Dynamic Package so they could have the sports exhaust and I completely agree with him. But we will have to wait and see. But I also know of a RS3 without one in Knoxville and it will be interesting to see how long it stays on the lot.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I test drove a new RS3 without the sports exhaust and the exhaust note was disappointing.

I've noticed similar comments in other threads - mostly by Canadian posters.

I realize that the majority of the cars ordered / allocated have the sport exhaust but some of us ended up with allocations without the sports exhaust.

Other than the black tips, does anyone have info on the actual differences between the two exhausts?

Will getting the resonator delete option (if even available) fix the poor sounding exhaust.

You're the first one to make mention of the difference between an S3 with resonator delete versus the RS3. I was always wondering about that. I too was also wondering if that option is even offered on the RS3. I'm guessing not since I have not seen it listed anywhere nor has anyone discussed it. I've only driven the S3 with res delete option and love it. I imagine the standard exhaust on the S3 (let alone RS3) would be too tame.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thank you for the links. they help to show some of the differences. sport vs non sport, flaps open vs closed. I admit that hearing those with mic right next to the exhaust, that it sounds awesome. Sitting in the drivers seat was an entirely different experience unfortunately. Might of well been a Camry.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Gotta drive with the windows open!
Old 08-05-2017, 08:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Could the perceived difference between the S3 and the RS3 Standard Exhaust be due to the S3's Soundaktor amplification? Does the RS3 have a soundaktor?

Much has been written about this device that uses the windshield as a resonator to amplify engine noise.

I've test driven an S3 and I liked the sound.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Are we sure the new S3s have Soundaktor? I have the resonator delete option in my car and it would be weird to have artificial noise pumped through. All I know is that I love the sound of the engine in my car, particularly in Dynamic mode.

Quick Reply: 2018 RS3 Exhaust very anticlimactic