Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2018 RS3 New Engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious where the burden of proof lies under the Magnuson-Moss act? Do we have to prove that the mods did not contribute to a failure, or do they have to prove that it did? Either way, I doubtI could afford to fit their lawyers.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:11 AM
2019 RS3 ordered 1-5-2019

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Hello,

Just to clarify something, maybe .............
For any of you that don't know about Factory Warranty and dealing with Dealerships.
I do know as I worked for multiple new car dealerships and of course I'm referring to here in the USA.
It's simple ...........
The service department technician checking the issue and or issues while looking sees it's been {Modified} from what came on it from the Manufacturer.
More than likely he will do one or possibly all of the following.

(1) Alert his Dispatcher
(2) Alert the Service Manager
(3) Alert the Parts & Service Director
(4) If the Regional Technical Support Technician just happens to be at that Dealership he will without any doubt ask him to come take a look.

And from the above dealership personnel ^^^ a decision will then be made and in many cases NOTED in the computer system that tracks that specific Vin # for it's entire life.
If they conclude from their prospective it's "Customer-Pay" the owner might as well get his or her Debit-Card out and foot the bill.
Or, tell that dealership they are going to get a Lawyer involved and they are NOT going to pay for the cost of the REPAIR under any Circumstances !!!

If the above takes place it's all going to go to CRAP and stay that way way for more than likely Months & Months on end.
After everything takes place the Customer will IMHO wish a million times over that they had simply footed the cost and whatever was Changed/Modified they ask (Politely) the dealership remove, please.
And by doing the above ^^^ ask that they NOT put any notes in the computer that the Audi had been MODIFIED as now it's been put back exactly as it came from the Manufacturer.

If anyone thinks it cannot take place as I just described then it's obvious you were never-ever employed as a Service Manager at a New Car Dealership I was.

As many of us guys and Gals have said over the years regarding Modifying cars.
If you Modify your car then be an Adult and foot the cost of the Repair or Repairs and keep your mouth shut.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 06-13-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by wfrager
Just curious where the burden of proof lies under the Magnuson-Moss act? Do we have to prove that the mods did not contribute to a failure, or do they have to prove that it did? Either way, I doubtI could afford to fit their lawyers.
Magnuson-Moss was written on the basis of replacing like with like, and not modifying from the original design. If you modified the car, you would need to prove that the modifications did not contribute to the failure. Nothing wrong with modifications (assuming they are well considered in engineering terms), just need to accept the risk, and the realisation that repair costs can be very high. And whatever tolerance there may have been from Audi in the past is now gone. Along with their $14 billion
Old 06-14-2019, 01:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

It isn't the dealership service department that notifies Audi that the car has been modified. The tech does a scan of the car as part of every service. That scan is automatically sent to Audi. If the engine ECU has been modified, it gets a TD1 flag. This then triggers any drive train issue with the car to be deemed non-warranty.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If, you modify your car your warranty is null and void, there are some wiggle room areas, cat back exhaust system will only exclude the whole exhaust system, suspension ditto. Engine and transmission mods no wiggle room. Another point also is, if you financed the car the fine print states no mods from original, as you do not own the car and can be in deep sh*t if you do.
I have nothing against you modifying your car but be aware of the consequences whilst it is under warranty and financing.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got an update this afternoon that the new engine arrived this morning, so hopefully everything will be sorted by Tuesday or Wednesday next week. Surprised at how fast they're resolving it given some of the other threads I've seen!

-Amy
Old 06-14-2019, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice! I think having the engine in the country already was a HUGE help on timing. Good luck!
Old 06-15-2019, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Wiscoaudi
Got an update this afternoon that the new engine arrived this morning, so hopefully everything will be sorted by Tuesday or Wednesday next week. Surprised at how fast they're resolving it given some of the other threads I've seen!

-Amy
Amy,

Congrats on how fast all this is taking place and all covered as it should be on a NON-Modified-RS3 or whatever

One positive thing is you will have a Brand-New Factory Audi engine with zero miles so that actually could be a very-very good thing.

Terry
Old 06-16-2019, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you Modify your car then be an Adult and foot the cost of the Repair or Repairs and keep your mouth shut.

110% Agree its all on you for sure, you want warranty KEEP IT STOCK ! You want a rocketship, pay for it....and I mod most ALL of my non daily drivers, they break, they break, I pay, simple as that.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sinister#4

110% Agree its all on you for sure, you want warranty KEEP IT STOCK !
You want a rocketship, pay for it....and I mod most ALL of my non daily drivers, they break, they break, I pay, simple as that.
Sinister#4,

Exactly .............

Terry

Quick Reply: 2018 RS3 New Engine