Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2018 RS3 New Engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got an update today. They replaced the engine, but the technician wanted to put some extra miles on it and held it overnight. Next day the new engine hesitated on cold start and sounded rough to the technician, no codes thrown, but they also pulled the new oil pan and saw some metal fragments. They called AoA and AoA thinks the original turbo contributed to engine failure, so now they're getting another new engine and now a new turbo next week. Third engine is the charm?
Old 06-20-2019, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow, another new engine. I am really surprised that the dealership shop did not inspect the turbo for a malfunction. You must have the patience of Job, I would have been a wee bit upset
The following users liked this post:
EXELR8 (06-21-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ooof. Fingers crossed for you!
Old 06-21-2019, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ouch, the turbo is destroying engines! Good thing they checked for that or else we'd have several 5-cylinder engines wasted!
Old 06-24-2019, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So I talked to one of the other service guys today (not the one assigned to my car), and he said that they don't normally pull the turbo when there's an engine fail? Said he's seen something like 70 engines replaced over the years he's worked there, and this is the first where AoA's told them to replace the turbo now. Apparently they're built to be relatively self-contained, like there are screens built in to keep stuff out of the engine. So maybe a screen failed? They won't pull the old turbo until the next new engine shows up, so they won't know until then, seems like an odd way of troubleshooting, but they're making out like they only do what AoA says for warranty coverage...
Old 06-25-2019, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

All I can say if someone did not check the turbo before installing a new engine in my shop, somebodies getting fired for sure, ZERO excuse not to check everything that could cause the damage. Even if Audi did not require the tech to do it thats just poor work form right there.
The following 3 users liked this post by Sinister#4:
Flying Scotsman (06-25-2019), nate (06-25-2019), tigerhonaker (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So said this is still the case at Audi dealers oddly enough this was almost the exact issue/reason I sold my last Audi, and said I would never get another one. I had a minor issue with a turbo wastegate rod rattle, instead of adjusting it they said they had to replace it. Well that ended up into the cycle of doom for that car as a loose screw that they never checked for in the intake tubes kept bouncing into the turbo blowing it then bouncing out. After 3 turbos and a titanium DTM race exhaust being flooded with oil I sold the car with a fresh turbo when all was running fine (I did disclose this to the new owner and they still had time left on the warranty); the new owner called 2 months later saying it blew again and they took it to a none Audi shop and they found a chewed up bolt in the intake tube; after running through everything leading to and from the turbo the car was rock solid.

Simple rule of thumb something blows up look at all parts leading in and out to make sure there is no other carnage. I hope my new Audi doesn't go through the same issues and yours was a fluke and keeps running like a top.
The following users liked this post:
Flying Scotsman (06-27-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yeah, we’re definitely concerned that they aren’t looking in enough places. WI has a decent lemon law, so if they don’t fix it this go-around we’re going to start talking buyback.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Dealer called and they got the second new engine in along with the turbocharger, and are starting on the replacement today. Service guy was emphatic that at that point they're replacing pretty much everything under the hood save the altenator at that point, including the intercooler. Fingers crossed!
Old 06-26-2019, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiscoaudi
Dealer called and they got the second new engine in along with the turbocharger, and are starting on the replacement today. Service guy was emphatic that at that point they're replacing pretty much everything under the hood save the altenator at that point, including the intercooler. Fingers crossed!
Yeah make sure the intercooler and all the hoses are either cleaned or replaced, this was the pit fall of mine even though they said they cleaned it; apparently not good enough or not on both sides of the turbo.

Quick Reply: 2018 RS3 New Engine