Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2018 RS3 tire options - staggered v non-staggered

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rocketmanpj
I picked up my RS3 yesterday and it's actually one of the initial shipment 2017's. Regarding the wheels does anybody know the offset of the staggered wheels and has anybody gone wider. Both the front and rear could use to have the wheel well filled out a bit more....
Another thread here says fronts are et 46, rears et 42. Personally, even with the non-staggered setup, I think the factory wheels fill the fender wells enough.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by egparson202
First post here!

The RS3 in my future will be a daily driver, so a square setup is my preference but my option choices will mean it will be equipped with staggered sizes when delivered. I'm debating factory wheels from another model (e.g TTRS) vs. aftermarket (e.g BBS SX). I've uncovered some specs at wheel-size.com that you all may find helpful. But since I don't have the car yet, it seems pretty tough to assess things like caliper and fender clearance.

Have you already solved this riddle? Make a new member's day and tell me what you did and how you like it!!
Welcome!

First - that website wheel-size.com has been posted before, and it's RS3 specs are way off on the offset. It claims the staggered wheels are something like front ET53, rear ET49 - actual numbers as Ken posted are front ET46, rear ET42.

TTRS wheels have different offset, won't fit.

Most aftermarket 18" wheels won't fit due to radial clearance to the huge front brake calipers and due to lateral clearance between the side of the front calipers and the back of the wheel spokes. Many, if not most, aftermarket 19" wheels won't fit due to lateral clearance between the side of the front calipers and the back of the wheel spokes.

Have we made your day yet? Most of the wheel vendors are working on their fitment information, so we're all waiting as patiently as possible...
Old 09-12-2017, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thanks for the info

Originally Posted by GordonC
Welcome!

First - that website wheel-size.com has been posted before, and it's RS3 specs are way off on the offset. It claims the staggered wheels are something like front ET53, rear ET49 - actual numbers as Ken posted are front ET46, rear ET42.

Most aftermarket 18" wheels won't fit due to radial clearance to the huge front brake calipers and due to lateral clearance between the side of the front calipers and the back of the wheel spokes. Many, if not most, aftermarket 19" wheels won't fit due to lateral clearance between the side of the front calipers and the back of the wheel spokes.

Have we made your day yet? Most of the wheel vendors are working on their fitment information, so we're all waiting as patiently as possible...
Ha! Being welcomed and getting good info does make my day. Thanks!

It is beginning to look like the early stages of my RS3 ownership experience are going to be marked by a need for patience. We've waited a long time already for this car. If I can just get the car, what's a few more months for the perfect wheels, right.

So, I'm open to the idea of using something from another model or aftermarket. Heck, I'd even use spacers if I had to. As options become available, we should consider developing a crowd-sourced fitment guide.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Welcome!

I am new to this site. I have the staggered setup and am having a very difficult time finding aftermarket winter rims. I tried a Braelin wheel with a 45 offset and it would not clear the front caliper. If anyone has had success with fitting an aftermarket rim I would appreciate hearing from you.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by brasdorlake
I am new to this site. I have the staggered setup and am having a very difficult time finding aftermarket winter rims. I tried a Braelin wheel with a 45 offset and it would not clear the front caliper. If anyone has had success with fitting an aftermarket rim I would appreciate hearing from you.
I should also add that I am not looking for a staggered winter setup but rather the same on all corners.

thanks
Old 10-24-2017, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by brasdorlake
Because of the size of the front brake calipers, there are a lot of 19" wheels that won't fit, including many that do fit the S3 and don't fit the RS3. There are quite a few RS3 wheel threads here, browse the forum section for them - look for thread subjects like wheel offset, winter wheels, etc.

There are a very few 18" wheels that fit - a couple of Replika models have surfaced recently, but a popular one is the Neuspeed RSe10 18x8.5 ET45 - I have those now on my RS3 with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 2 235/40-18 winter tires.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Because of the size of the front brake calipers, there are a lot of 19" wheels that won't fit, including many that do fit the S3 and don't fit the RS3. There are quite a few RS3 wheel threads here, browse the forum section for them - look for thread subjects like wheel offset, winter wheels, etc.

There are a very few 18" wheels that fit - a couple of Replika models have surfaced recently, but a popular one is the Neuspeed RSe10 18x8.5 ET45 - I have those now on my RS3 with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 2 235/40-18 winter tires.
Thanks very much. Are you happy with your winter setup?
Old 10-24-2017, 06:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

In the 18, RWC AD86 18x8 et 32 fit. With 225 tires you go pretty close to the OEM position. 1600CAN + tx installed for xIce3.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does anybody know if you can run square tire setup on the staggered wheels? So my question is, will 245/35-19's fit all four staggered wheels? So the fronts will have 10mm narrower tires and the rear will have 10mm wider tires?
Old 10-25-2017, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

From what I have learned and i am not the brightest bulb. Seems like 235/35/19 on the staggered set up might be the best route to go.

Originally Posted by Chi_Nardo_RS3
Does anybody know if you can run square tire setup on the staggered wheels? So my question is, will 245/35-19's fit all four staggered wheels? So the fronts will have 10mm narrower tires and the rear will have 10mm wider tires?

Quick Reply: 2018 RS3 tire options - staggered v non-staggered