Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2018 RS3 US Model = Forced Panoramic Roof?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

You cannot delete the sunroof on the RS 3.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Greyout
People get defensive when a brand they like is criticized and in general tend to believe their opinion is the correct/popular one despite any evidence. The fact remains: it's a feature I don't like, others don't like, and I hope they provide a remove option for if someone up the chain finds this thread. Car companies should stop neglecting the market of good car variants just because decade old marketing data showed it wasn't popular at some point in the past.

Otherwise, it's still a great car. Invest 10k in it and you could replace the roof with carbon fiber and modify it to stage 1. That would still be slightly less than a TTRS or any super-car. Good deal.
Sorry Greyout, its really not about "fanboyism" as you suggest. Its just how it is. Nobody is forcing your hand on it one way or the other. I understand that you may not like it. That is your prerogative, but going to a forum to complain about the way something is won't change much.

There are other options in the market that may better suite what you are looking for. If you are looking for a $60K+ track machine only/first there are MUCH better options that will fit your needs. They are gutted bare bones cars built for the track. Audi is building these cars for a specific market. The RS3 is a niche market in which they are providing a car. It will never fit everyone's preferences, just like no car will. There are always sacrifices in any car, and I feel most would agree that a pana roof being included as standard is a rather small sacrifice for that vast majority of those interested in a fast German luxury sedan.

As stated before. These are luxury cars that go fast. Luxury cars will be appointed with luxury bits, including in this case a pana roof as standard. There is nothing any of us can do to change that. You can hack the car up and spend 10k as you suggested to fit a carbon roof on it, or you can consider competition that might get you closer to what you are looking for. By the sounds of it, the pana roof is a pretty big deal to you, and it may be worth your time and money to look elsewhere. The M2 is another amazing car, and it doesn't have a pana roof.

Again, its not about brand loyalty, its about the facts.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

I agree with you, Greyout.

The RS range, which represents about 1% of Audi's volume, should not be about being the most luxurious, having the most "features", etc. It is supposed to be completely focused on performance, and not compromised with other "features".

Audi went to the trouble and expense of redesigning the 5 cylinder engine, just to shave off 24kg of weight. To take this 24kg, perhaps double it, and then stick it on the roof seems a very wrong direction for an RS vehicle. If people want to do that, fine. But to force people to do that, not so good.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

So if we go by your "it's a luxury car" don't expect any track worthiness from it line of thinking, then why are the seat manual. Why the staggered tires and engine weight reduction -- luxury cars can deal with a little understeer on the freeway off-ramp. Likewise, why play with the haldex software to make it more rear biased and drifty when the ESC is turned down and then off. Why offer a fixed suspension or CCBs?

Personally, I think it's because we all know that there are many of these who are going be dailed and make to a few track days per year. Mine sure weill. Yes, I could by Cayman or an M2, or even spent a bit more on a M4. I didn't because I want to drive this car every day and it will still be fun enough on the track. I know this because that exactly what my tuned Golf R does today. And it has no sunroof.

Either way, it seems like a reasonable option to give buyers.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am willing to bet that the corporate bean counters had a pretty big say into whether the sunroof is fixed or optional. If you think about it, the only optional mechanical things we can get for the RS3 are technically external to the chassis; brakes, suspension, exhaust. Bet having a single, proven chassis/structure is a big money saver in the long run. Bean counters know this.

I would probably NOT select the sunroof if that option were available but I do use the sunroof on my current S3 from time to time. Only spring and fall however. Too friggin hot in summer. My wife is the really odd one however. Wants a sunroof on her vehicle, currently a Q5, but never opens it because it messes up her hair! Women...........
Old 04-21-2017, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I will in no way race the RS3 but went to my dealer yesterday for some paperwork for another car and really disliked the ackward panoramic sunroof (the way it looks once open). If I could, I would delete it, really a personal taste though but will live with it ...!
Old 04-21-2017, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fixeroh
My wife is the really odd one however. Wants a sunroof on her vehicle, currently a Q5, but never opens it because it messes up her hair! Women...........
LOL. Too funny.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's an included free feature.

just like the headlight washers system that is standard on the RS3 and S3 and somehow is absent on the A3.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This is where I wish Audi were a bit more like Porsche. Provide customers more choice.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greyout
I don't think the US order forms have been finalized yet. There have been some sample order forms for the CA release or UK release posted in other threads on this forum. From those, it seems like other countries will have the option for a panoramic roof to be added on for around $1500. It is not standard and I'm fine with that. Actually, it shouldn't be any other way. RS models (not just for Audi) are supposed to be more performance oriented. A sunroof is the antithesis of performance.

That brings me to the point of this thread. It appears the US version of the 2018 Audi RS3 will come with a standard panoramic roof with no option for removal. The NY auto show car has the panoramic roof. No other country will force that feature as standard. If that is the case is anyone else very disappointed? That's a feature that will be an instant deal breaker from me. I never use sunroofs, they are a lot of extra weight in the worst part of the car, and I don't like them aesthetically. Do people that buy an Audi RS3 not want to go to the track maybe once or twice? By making this feature standard Audi is saying this is a feature rich luxury model with a little pep to it. If we want true performance, too bad, buy the TTRS or R8. In my mind Audi laughs maniacally afterwards and cheers at the junk versions they keep sending to the US market. I hope they change their mind and give a panoramic roof remove option. I'm not into the TTRS, but want to like the RS3...
The RS3 is not a pure sports car....not even close. It is performance compact premium sedan meant for real world use. You can definitely track it, but it does and should have a number of creature comforts.

Quick Reply: 2018 RS3 US Model = Forced Panoramic Roof?