Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

2018 RS3 US Model = Forced Panoramic Roof?

Old 04-25-2017, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AMRS3
This is where I wish Audi were a bit more like Porsche. Provide customers more choice.
Then it would come with a Porsche-like price tag as well. The high degree of individualization available on a Porsche is part of the reason they cost what they do. Less standardization = higher production costs
Old 04-25-2017, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
I agree with you, Greyout.

The RS range, which represents about 1% of Audi's volume, should not be about being the most luxurious, having the most "features", etc. It is supposed to be completely focused on performance, and not compromised with other "features".

Audi went to the trouble and expense of redesigning the 5 cylinder engine, just to shave off 24kg of weight. To take this 24kg, perhaps double it, and then stick it on the roof seems a very wrong direction for an RS vehicle. If people want to do that, fine. But to force people to do that, not so good.
I do not agree with this. And it isn't true for Mercedes AMG or BMW M cars either. RS provides maximum steetable performance, but they are still street cars. They provide premium performance AND premium luxury (suitable for their class and price point), but maintain a degree of real world usability and street civility.

If you want something "completely focused on performance", you need a car with two doors, two seats, and the engine fully behind the front axle, if not behind you.

Still, saving 50lbs from the nose of the car vs 50 lbs, centrally distributed, even if it is up higher is a big difference. And has been pointed out, a professional driver may be able extract some performance advantage with no sunroof, but unless you race for money, and are damn good at it, it won't make a lick of difference.

Last edited by Vijay; 04-25-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vijay
Then it would come with a Porsche-like price tag as well. The high degree of individualization available on a Porsche is part of the reason they cost what they do. Less standardization = higher production costs
Yes, I agree, if they do it the extent of customization that Porsche provides. But Audi doesn't need to go that far. They could make some small changes that really align with what customers want.

Why does 2018 S4 not have black optic package?
Why does 2018 RS3 not have power seat as an option - when the S3 does?
To the OP's point, why make sunroof mandatory?

Basic customer options like this could go a long way for the brand.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly speaking I think those of us here in the US market are lucky to even be getting the RS3. Think about how many models of Audi (as well as the other German manufacturers) we haven't had over the years. I'm pretty sure Audi USA is thinking the exact same thing.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Yes, I agree, if they do it the extent of customization that Porsche provides. But Audi doesn't need to go that far. They could make some small changes that really align with what customers want.

Why does 2018 S4 not have black optic package?
Why does 2018 RS3 not have power seat as an option - when the S3 does?
To the OP's point, why make sunroof mandatory?

Basic customer options like this could go a long way for the brand.
The 2018 S4 does have a black optic package.

The RS 3 doesn't have power seats as they are not available for the S sport seats which are standard, compared to the S3 where they are optional.

The sunroof is mandatory as that is the only way the A3 body is offered in the US.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

We can't have it all. I don't think folks realize how much cheaper these cars are in North America compared to Europe. One way for Audi to keep the cost down is by streamlining production and that's accomplished by limiting the number of variations that can be ordered. A large options menu complicates production and increases cost. If you've ever played around with the Porsche configurator you will know how quickly the prices shoot through the roof as you add options.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
If you've ever played around with the Porsche configurator you will know how quickly the prices shoot through the roof as you add options.
Indeed! Porsche is also perhaps the most profitable car manufacturer on the planet as a result!! Margins are insane.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by adg44
The 2018 S4 does have a black optic package.

The RS 3 doesn't have power seats as they are not available for the S sport seats which are standard, compared to the S3 where they are optional.

The sunroof is mandatory as that is the only way the A3 body is offered in the US.
2018 S4 does not offer black optic in US, at least not on the Audi USA website.

As for the seats, "not available??" you mean to tell me Audi can't make a power seat for the S sport seats??
Old 04-25-2017, 09:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh Audi. It boggles my mind how Canada can have power seats as a no cost option but they aren't even available in the US. As a CAD customer though I am jealous of the RS Design package seat belts. I wonder if we can setup a swapmeet between countries for all the exclusive items and options...I know you want those rotor wheels
Old 04-25-2017, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

As for the seats, "not available??" you mean to tell me Audi can't make a power seat for the S sport seats??
The S sport seats are deliberately manual to save weight. That's a desired option for some. RS models generally have at least an option for manual seats. For example the outgoing RS4/5 had three seat options. The US only got two. Comfort seats and S sport seats (both powered) and the RS bucket seats (manual, were not available in North America).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 RS3 US Model = Forced Panoramic Roof?